• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC GPhones handed out @ Google....

If Google and Verizon are truly partnered and there have been SO many rumors of the Passion coming out in January... Well, would it help Verizon for Google to hand out a bunch of ONLY GSM versions of this new phone to their employees? Keyword: GSM ONLY. Well hell yes it would. How many people look at these forums each day? I'm on here at least five times a day and this is my first post, and the information that I get off of these forums I go and tell all of my "non-techy" friends. Word of mouth is the best way to spread information, and these forums and the internet spread information like cancer.

So...my point is, how many more people will/might go ahead and get off of the fence about buying a Motorola Droid or an HTC Eris simply because they now, because of this latest news, have lost all hope that there is actually going to be a CDMA version come out? I would say a lot.

This is simply a theory, of course, but I would have to say that Google just did Verizon a BIG solid, simply by handing out some test devices to their employees that were GSM devices. Liquidate as MUCH of the current "DROID" phone hardware at Verizon before the Passion is released. Everyone wins. And look how simple it was. Verizon is reading these forums and jumping with joy that all of us CDMA people are all worried. haha This means we'll go tell our friends to perhaps go ahead and buy the Droid or Eris, because it doesn't look like a CDMA version is coming out. Don't be fooled. Watch and wait. It's all about profit and money. They're a company, I wouldn't expect anything less than wanting to MAKE MORE MONEY. Google and HTC aren't going to leave their biggest partner disappointed. I'm nobody, but I just know good and well there is a killer phone coming to Verizon. There's too much rumor not to be. Hang tight!

Bottom line is Verizon would be stupid not to jump on a phone like this. Why would HTC only have one Android set with one year old "Hero" technology/hardware in it on the nation's leading service. If the "google/passion phone is coming and will be everything its cracked up to be, Verizon is gonna loose out having nothing to compete with it or the iPhone. It wouldn't even make sense to have a partnership with them just to get passed over on the hottest thing coming to the market. If I were Verizon, I'd be pissed. I'm sure they fought for this phone! I'm staying optimistic...:D

Upvote 0
Bottom line is Verizon would be stupid not to jump on a phone like this. Why would HTC only have one Android set with one year old "Hero" technology/hardware in it on the nation's leading service. If the "google/passion phone is coming and will be everything its cracked up to be, Verizon is gonna loose out having nothing to compete with it or the iPhone. It wouldn't even make sense to have a partnership with them just to get passed over on the hottest thing coming to the market. If I were Verizon, I'd be pissed. I'm sure they fought for this phone! I'm staying optimistic...:D

Yeah, I think this is all preliminary details, as of now. I somehow have a feeling that the phone that Verizon is going to be getting in January, supposedly, is going to be even better than this phone we've been hearing about today. There's no way that Google would do anything to hurt Verizon. There's got to be something even better coming for Verizon. I just know it, and hearing all of this news today about this new phone for GSM carriers is kinda getting me excited for what Verizon must be getting. Because, if AT&T and T-Mobile are getting this sweet phone that Google employees are talking about today, imagine the phone that Google's partner, Verizon, must be getting!!! Stay optimistic and excited. Verizon isn't going to miss out on anything, they're going to have the trump card when it's all said and done. I just have a very serious feeling on this one. I'm not claiming to know something, it's just a feeling and the feeling is very good.

Upvote 0
On the other hand, it's possible that Verizon does not have a snapdragon-based phone coming out and they're advertising droid/eris's proverbial butts off in a desperate attempt to lock as many customers into another 2 year contract as possible before these GSM android phones officially hit the market, hence all the BOGO deals.

All these recent rumors about passion/dragon/bravo/g-phone... many of which are hinting at possible carriers (AT&T, T-mobile), yet none of them mention a link to Verizon.

Upvote 0
Im sure it can be smaller than the Hero but have a bigger screen maybe. Could a 3.7 screen fit. The Hero has all that room at the bottom with the buttons. maybe a 3.7 screen would fit and technically would still be smaller than the Hero??? I also saw somewhere that they were rumored to be working on a multi platform that was gsm and cdma combo? Is that possible?

I want it on Sprint!!!

Upvote 0
On the other hand, it's possible that Verizon does not have a snapdragon-based phone coming out and they're advertising droid/eris's proverbial butts off in a desperate attempt to lock as many customers into another 2 year contract as possible before these GSM android phones officially hit the market, hence all the BOGO deals.

All these recent rumors about passion/dragon/bravo/g-phone... many of which are hinting at possible carriers (AT&T, T-mobile), yet none of them mention a link to Verizon.

Well dang, looks like all of us hopeful Verizon customers will have to settle for the Droid or the Eris. Well, it's official guys. Let's all go ahead and head to our local Verizon stores and buy whatever android phone they currently have. :( I'm, of course, being sarcastic. There is a killer phone coming, and deep down we all know it! Don't be demoralized troops! Hang in there, because we Verizon users have something coming. NO WAY Verizon would just stand by and let AT&T get another game changing phone before them, and when I say another, I'm of course referring to the iPhone being the first. Verizon has a BIG trick up their sleeves and when it hits this new phone, that these Google employees are playing with today, is going to look like a child's toy. That's the way I see it playing out, anyways. haha Take it as you will, but I know a lot of you guys agree with me on this one. Just keep your hopes up.

Upvote 0
A number of individuals have popped up on one forum another, including this one, saying they have an aunt/uncle/step brother who works at google and says they have the phone. Now that this thing has been distributed to lots of employees at google (as reported on google's blog) how the hell is it that we can't get one single picture of this damn thing. All the big tech blogs for all they are worth can't come up with anything more than the three month old unlockr leaked photo. Common supposed friends of friends at google, give us something we can use!

Upvote 0
Well dang, looks like all of us hopeful Verizon customers will have to settle for the Droid or the Eris. Well, it's official guys. Let's all go ahead and head to our local Verizon stores and buy whatever android phone they currently have. :( I'm, of course, being sarcastic. There is a killer phone coming, and deep down we all know it! Don't be demoralized troops! Hang in there, because we Verizon users have something coming. NO WAY Verizon would just stand by and let AT&T get another game changing phone before them, and when I say another, I'm of course referring to the iPhone being the first. Verizon has a BIG trick up their sleeves and when it hits this new phone, that these Google employees are playing with today, is going to look like a child's toy. That's the way I see it playing out, anyways. haha Take it as you will, but I know a lot of you guys agree with me on this one. Just keep your hopes up.
I'm just posting an alternate theory to yours, and I encourage anyone to change my opinion. Unfortunately, nobody has been able to do that... yet.

Some people live on hopes and dreams, and if that's what makes them happy, more power to them. I prefer to take the skeptical route, then be pleasantly surprised when things pan out better than I had expected. ;)

I'm not saying passion won't come to Verizon -I would like to think it will, because I'll never switch to AT&T- but I'm also a realist, and I have yet to see anything reliable to convince me that Verizon is picking this phone up. What I am saying is at this point, there is a noticeable lack of any tangible evidence to a Verizon/Passion link, but plenty of evidence of links to other carriers.

The closest thing to a link is the recent list showing a "passionC" which people are implying means CDMA, and then further implying that means it's coming to Verizon. Which is to say it's a reasonable a stretch of the imagination.

Let the flames begin.

Upvote 0
I'm just posting an alternate theory to yours, and I encourage anyone to change my opinion. Unfortunately, nobody has been able to do that... yet.

Some people live on hopes and dreams, and if that's what makes them happy, more power to them. I prefer to take the skeptical route, then be pleasantly surprised when things pan out better than I had expected. ;)

I'm not saying passion won't come to Verizon -I would like to think it will, because I'll never switch to AT&T- but I'm also a realist, and I have yet to see anything reliable to convince me that Verizon is picking this phone up. What I am saying is at this point, there is a noticeable lack of any tangible evidence to a Verizon/Passion link, but plenty of evidence of links to other carriers.

The closest thing to a link is the recent list showing a "passionC" which people are implying means CDMA, and then further implying that means it's coming to Verizon. Which is to say it's a reasonable a stretch of the imagination.

Let the flames begin.

Nah brother, I'm not saying you're saying anything bad or wrong at all. I was just kinda making a point that maybe Verizon wants everyone to think that there isn't a CDMA version coming out, that way they can liquidate more Motorola Droids and HTC Eris. Google is the one releasing this information and they are the reason we're all now REALLY thinking that this phone is probably going to only be GSM. So...why would Google do that if it were going to hurt Verizon, they're biggest most loyal mobile partner? My theory is that this news today only helps Verizon and there is either a Verizon branded version of this phone waiting in the wings, or an all-together different/advanced version of this device or another device all-together coming to Verizon.

Also, after reading over the Google blog more and reading the actual articles written coming from direct sources, I'm more inclined to believe that this device given to Google employees and testers is just a "mobile lab." In other words, it's a "phone" sure, but it's just a piece of hardware that is up to specs with the newest hardware and Snapdragon processesor so that employees and testers can test new apps, programs and Android versions. If you read the actual articles released and the Google blog, which is pretty much what all of the hype is based on except for some tweets, this piece of hardware is just exactly what they say it is...a "mobile lab." End of story. Maybe all of this excitement is for nothing. Maybe it's just a piece of test equipment that just happens to have some sexy hardware and software specs about it. Cause I'm beginning to believe that's the case.

Regardless, there has to be some very killer phones set for release soon because the "mobile lab" that they're giving their testers and employees is fast and sexy enough by itself to be a killer phone! I seriously can't wait till January! It's going to be a very fun month, I'm convinced.

Upvote 0
Before the Droid Verizon had the (well-deserved) reputation of having the best network but the worst phones. The hype over the Droid has all of a sudden made everyone think thats changed, but that may not be the case. If you actually think about it, manufacturers may not want to go out of their way to create a device that runs on basically two networks, Verizon and Sprint. Look how long it took Verizon to get the BlackBerry Curve :thinking: Making a CDMA device is like having a vegan friend over for Thanksgiving dinner; you have to cook a special dish just for them that no one else will eat. Inconvenient.

Upvote 0
Before the Droid Verizon had the (well-deserved) reputation of having the best network but the worst phones. The hype over the Droid has all of a sudden made everyone think thats changed, but that may not be the case. If you actually think about it, manufacturers may not want to go out of their way to create a device that runs on basically two networks, Verizon and Sprint. Look how long it took Verizon to get the BlackBerry Curve :thinking: Making a CDMA device is like having a vegan friend over for Thanksgiving dinner; you have to cook a special dish just for them that no one else will eat. Inconvenient.

I can see your point here. However, Verizon and Sprint have a HUGE share of the market and Verizon happens to be a Google/Android partner mobile provider. So...though I see your point, I believe that putting a CDMA radio in a device would be pretty well worth the effort in order to get access to all of the Sprint and Verizon customer base. Cause think about it, it's pretty much split down the middle. AT&T/T-Mobile vs Verizon/Sprint. It would make more sense to either make a phone that worked on ALL networks, which COULD possibly be the rumored "Google phone" or to just make a GSM version and a CDMA version. I see your point, but it would just make more sense to try to sell handsets to ALL possible carriers, rather than alienate some.

Upvote 0
As someone said above, we could be looking at both a CDMA and GSM version of the same phone. Think about it. An unlocked GSM gphone and a Verizon CDMA (maybe even Sprint) gphone? Think about what kind of market dominance that would be. Now of course it would be a bit hard to manufacture that many phones for so many companies but if it's just down to an unlocked GSM gphone, and a by contract VZM gphone, I could see it happening.

Upvote 0
As someone said above, we could be looking at both a CDMA and GSM version of the same phone. Think about it. An unlocked GSM gphone and a Verizon CDMA (maybe even Sprint) gphone? Think about what kind of market dominance that would be. Now of course it would be a bit hard to manufacture that many phones for so many companies but if it's just down to an unlocked GSM gphone, and a by contract VZM gphone, I could see it happening.

You may be on to something here. I definitely would agree that Google would love to have "total market dominance." Look at what they've done with internet search. I would definitely call THAT dominance. So, I can't see how they wouldn't love to do the same with phones and mobile providers. I'm not saying that's an "evil" or bad thing, Google just knows what they're doing and they don't do it half-assed. When they put money into something, they do it correctly or don't do it at all. They're a company. So, companies are in it to make money. So...yeah, I'd agree with ya on this one. Google is out to make as much dough as possible, and as long as they're putting out incredible phones in the process, I'm fine with it! Although my LG Dare has honestly been an INCREDIBLE phone for me, I'm ready to go totally mobile and be able to do much more with my handset. Looks like Google and HTC are going to be a deadly combination on this front and whatever the next HTC Android phone is that comes to Verizon, well...it's going to be the best phone brand (HTC), best open mobile platform (Android), fastest (1ghz) most power efficient mobile processor (Snapdragon) and the most reliable and fastest 3G network (Verizon) all combined. Add on the Sense UI that comes along with HTC and a 3.7 inch (reportedly) OLED screen...goodness... No one has ever seen a phone like this. It's going to be a pleasure and I'm seriously excited to see what is coming in January to Big Red. And if all the other carriers get it as well, well...that'd be just fine too. Everyone deserves a great phone. Doesn't matter what network you're on.

Upvote 0
The "mobile lab" theory sounds nice, but the costs of creating a limited-production run of phones would be outlandish (even for google) just so they could pass them around the office like party favors.

My guess is that the phones that are being handed out are the first batch of the actual production phones.

You mention that Verizon and Sprints combined market share is huge, which it is... in the US, but compare CDMA vs GSM worldwide and you begin to realize that if you're going to make a phone for the masses, you make a GSM version.

Upvote 0
The "mobile lab" theory sounds nice, but the costs of creating a limited-production run of phones would be outlandish (even for google) just so they could pass them around the office like party favors.

My guess is that the phones that are being handed out are the first batch of the actual production phones.

You mention that Verizon and Sprints combined market share is huge, which it is... in the US, but compare CDMA vs GSM worldwide and you begin to realize that if you're going to make a phone for the masses, you make a GSM version.

Very good point. I'm just ready to see some pictures or something. I need to be downtown here in Nashville partying and I'm here at the house on the computer searching for new news. haha My birthday is Monday and I'll be 28. You'd never guess it by looking at me, but I'm a HUGE tech nerd. Most people can't believe it, but I just can't help myself. I'm hooked on technology. Engadget is like a drug for me. I SERIOUSLY check it at least 10 times a day, if not more. Do I have a problem? haha

Upvote 0

But If you're making a phone for the masses in the U.S. where Android is BIGGEST.... you make a CDMA...and last time I checked this bad boy was debuting HERE!

Upvote 0
But If you're making a phone for the masses in the U.S. where Android is BIGGEST.... you make a CDMA...and last time I checked this bad boy was debuting HERE!

Another very valid point. Android is basically non-existent in Europe and other countries. It's here!

I say, throw a dog treat at GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) and then after you have a really nice phone over there to keep them happy and get more Android users in the U.S., throw a BONE at Verizon. The bone, of course, is whatever this phone is that is coming to Verizon in January. A treat is better than nothing for GSM providers here and will sell a lot of phones, but Verizon deserves to be thrown a bone after it's all said and done. And I think the bone they're going to be thrown will have a lot of meat on it. Just my theory, but I think Google and HTC have been developing a game-changer (kinda hate using that phrase, but I honestly believe it) for Verizon. HTC and Google/Android aren't going to leave Verizon hanging. It is not only unlikely, it's a no-brainer. They're all partners in this whole Android endeavor. Why give AT&T/T-Mobile a better phone than Verizon when Verizon has been aligned with Google and Android from the very beginning? The answer: They wouldn't. Because where's the incentive for Verizon?

Verizon has first dibs because they're a partner, and I guarantee Verizon, Google and HTC are keeping tight wraps on this whole thing and just sitting there selectively releasing other news about other phones on other networks, all to benefit Google, HTC and Verizon in the long run. Am I the only one seeing this? Thoughts? Theories? There's NO WAY Google and HTC are leaving Verizon out. It's just simply not going to happen. Would make no sense whatsoever.

Upvote 0

But if the limited run phone is based on an existing device, say the Hero, it brings down price. Some people reported it looked just like the Hero. Also as they have worked with HTC price may not be that high due to offsetting agreements.
Perhaps it was the HTC BUzz body with some extra kick.

Upvote 0
Another very valid point. Android is basically non-existent in Europe and other countries. It's here!

I say, throw a dog treat at GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) and then after you have a really nice phone over there to keep them happy and get more Android users in the U.S., throw a BONE at Verizon. The bone, of course, is whatever this phone is that is coming to Verizon in January. A treat is better than nothing for GSM providers here and will sell a lot of phones, but Verizon deserves to be thrown a bone after it's all said and done. And I think the bone they're going to be thrown will have a lot of meat on it. Just my theory, but I think Google and HTC have been developing a game-changer (kinda hate using that phrase, but I honestly believe it) for Verizon. HTC and Google/Android aren't going to leave Verizon hanging. It is not only unlikely, it's a no-brainer. They're all partners in this whole Android endeavor. Why give AT&T/T-Mobile a better phone than Verizon when Verizon has been aligned with Google and Android from the very beginning? The answer: They wouldn't. Because where's the incentive for Verizon?

Verizon has first dibs because they're a partner, and I guarantee Verizon, Google and HTC are keeping tight wraps on this whole thing and just sitting there selectively releasing other news about other phones on other networks, all to benefit Google, HTC and Verizon in the long run. Am I the only one seeing this? Thoughts? Theories? There's NO WAY Google and HTC are leaving Verizon out. It's just simply not going to happen. Would make no sense whatsoever.

Exactly...I like your thinking!

Upvote 0
Google Phone That Much Closer To Realization? | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

According to this guy's sources, they make the connection between this "google phone" and the Passion, and they're saying it's coming to T-Mobile. If this is indeed the codenamed Passion, we know from a ROM release that there is a PassionC out there, a likely CDMA version. We've already heard about Verizon sources telling the blogs about the impending Passion a few weeks back. It's all starting to make sense now. There will be separate GSM and CDMA versions. I'll bet they start out on T-Mo and VZW, and eventually make their way to AT&T and Sprint.

Upvote 0
You may be on to something here. I definitely would agree that Google would love to have "total market dominance." Look at what they've done with internet search. I would definitely call THAT dominance. So, I can't see how they wouldn't love to do the same with phones and mobile providers. I'm not saying that's an "evil" or bad thing, Google just knows what they're doing and they don't do it half-assed. When they put money into something, they do it correctly or don't do it at all. They're a company. So, companies are in it to make money. So...yeah, I'd agree with ya on this one. Google is out to make as much dough as possible, and as long as they're putting out incredible phones in the process, I'm fine with it! Although my LG Dare has honestly been an INCREDIBLE phone for me, I'm ready to go totally mobile and be able to do much more with my handset. Looks like Google and HTC are going to be a deadly combination on this front and whatever the next HTC Android phone is that comes to Verizon, well...it's going to be the best phone brand (HTC), best open mobile platform (Android), fastest (1ghz) most power efficient mobile processor (Snapdragon) and the most reliable and fastest 3G network (Verizon) all combined. Add on the Sense UI that comes along with HTC and a 3.7 inch (reportedly) OLED screen...goodness... No one has ever seen a phone like this. It's going to be a pleasure and I'm seriously excited to see what is coming in January to Big Red. And if all the other carriers get it as well, well...that'd be just fine too. Everyone deserves a great phone. Doesn't matter what network you're on.

Ohh and dont forget the High Definition 720p video camera!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones