• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero alternate keyboard

ZoeyGirlz

Lurker
Jan 20, 2010
Hi. This is my 3rd HTC but first Android (Had a Blackberry Curve too). Like Hero a lot but the onscreen keyboard is driving me batty! First off, it doesn't work well if my fingers are cold. And second off, it does not seem to be accurate, especially on the far right hand side. Also, I swear my fingers are quite small and even if I press a letter smack dab in the middle, I get the letter above. And don't get me started on the backspace key.

I really really like my Hero. But I need a different onscreen keyboard. Can anybody make any suggestions? I can't do any programming, etc. so it will have to be a pretty much straight download.

Any help would be appreciated or this thing is going back to Sprint.

Zoey.

Hi. I've recalibrated the keyboard multiple times. I had looked in the Market however, I was looking for USER recommendations. I downloaded barcode scanner from the market. Then downloaded Shapewriter. I can see a bit of change, but not a lot. Thanks for any other suggestions anybody else has to offer.

Upvote 0
My right side chars, particularly backspace were a big problem. So much so that I had begun picking up my crackberry and using that to send messages instead. I downloaded Shapewriter a few hours ago and I do see some improvement. I found AndroidAnarchy.com had the Shapewriter (plus a few other interesting things.)

Upvote 0
Hi. This is my 3rd HTC but first Android (Had a Blackberry Curve too). Like Hero a lot but the onscreen keyboard is driving me batty! First off, it doesn't work well if my fingers are cold. And second off, it does not seem to be accurate, especially on the far right hand side. Also, I swear my fingers are quite small and even if I press a letter smack dab in the middle, I get the letter above. And don't get me started on the backspace key.

I really really like my Hero. But I need a different onscreen keyboard. Can anybody make any suggestions? I can't do any programming, etc. so it will have to be a pretty much straight download.

Any help would be appreciated or this thing is going back to Sprint.

Zoey.

I feel your pain :( everytime i attempt to push the backspace key i push the enter key. i flippin hate this keyboard. might as well be using a moto q.

Upvote 0
After 2 months of qwerty, I just switched to the compact querty. So much easier to use because of the bigger buttons and my accuracy has gone way up. When you search for something and the text is not predictive, you can double tap -- that took a bit of getting used to, but overall I am much happier. While I love this phone, I never could accurately type on the the standard qwerty keyboard....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones