• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero as an actual phone

msaringer

Lurker
Oct 25, 2010
My husband and I both have HTC Heros, purchased about a month ago now. The main problems we have are when we actually try to use it as a phone. Maybe we are overlooking something obvious, but can't you set up favorites/speed dial numbers for the handful of people you call over and over?

So, wow, I can see the phone numbers for everyone in Facebook, at my office, etc. but then I have to start typing the name on the clunky keyboard in order to get to my husband or son? This seems nuts.

Any advice/tricks for the actual phone function?

Thanks.

Yes, I have the People widget, but there are probably 200 contacts in it - from all over - Facebook, Google contacts, etc. That is fine, but what I really want is speed dial numbers for just a few of those people. I can't believe that you can't do that on the Hero.
Confusingly there is an HTC app called people and an HTC widget also called people. The app shows everybody as a list that takes up the whole page. The widget is a 2x4 display that you put permanently on one of your home screens and just shows your favourites. To put the widget on the screen hit the + button then choose widget and then People. You will then get offered two types - one a 4x4 widget and one a 2x4 one. Choose which you want.

If all your contacts are showing on the widget then they have all been designated as favourites. To check that go into the people app hit the Groups button and then choose favourites. You can delete them from the favourites either on that screen or by going to the individual contact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones