• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero for one week...

I just opened up the handcent SMS texting, started to write a quick message to my wife like, "Yo woman I'm coming home so you better clean up the house and put on something pretty" and the thing draggggggged,

Maybe the phone lagged so much when you typed that because it didn't want your wife to get that message and kill you when you got home. :D

You've heard of "Divine intervention"? That just might have been "Little green guy intervention" trying to save your life!

Upvote 0
My first post!

I don't have the lag on my keyboard, but I do find it to be almost useless as an input device. To me the problem is that the keyboard thinks it knows what I want to type instead of actually putting down what I do type. I usually have to re-read what I type at least twice to make sure it got it correct. And "correcting" it's mistakes is harder than it sounds. But I like the phone a lot other than that.

I thought I was alone, guess not. I'll try out the Any soft keyboard and see if that makes a difference for me, thanks for the advice. Also, I'll try to figure out how to calibrate my keyboard as was suggested in the forums and see where that gets me.

Upvote 0
My first post!

I don't have the lag on my keyboard, but I do find it to be almost useless as an input device. To me the problem is that the keyboard thinks it knows what I want to type instead of actually putting down what I do type. I usually have to re-read what I type at least twice to make sure it got it correct. And "correcting" it's mistakes is harder than it sounds. But I like the phone a lot other than that.

I thought I was alone, guess not. I'll try out the Any soft keyboard and see if that makes a difference for me, thanks for the advice. Also, I'll try to figure out how to calibrate my keyboard as was suggested in the forums and see where that gets me.

calibrating will help, as will using portrait over landscape. Also, give it time. It certainly seems to "learn" how you type, and gets better with time. There are very few words that my Hero guesses wrong as I'm typing, and it's usually because I was half looking through my glasses and half not while I typed, so instead of typing "wonder", I type "endre" or something like that lol

Upvote 0
Maybe the phone lagged so much when you typed that because it didn't want your wife to get that message and kill you when you got home. :D

You've heard of "Divine intervention"? That just might have been "Little green guy intervention" trying to save your life!

I know...that must be the divine app I forgot I installed! :)

My first post!

The lag was frustrating, but I was being spoiled. I have nothing but confidence in the whole Android community and the fact that if you're experiencing a problem, somebody else has already experienced it and it will be resolved in one way or another.

The difference for me was that even though there was some lag in the keyboard, this Palm lags in general waaaaay more than the Hero ever did, so even though I like the keyboard better I'm not typing any faster because I'm waiting on other things.

I only had the Hero for about 10 days or so and I'm serious, it spoiled me in so many ways. I was nit-picking but I'm running back.

I do love the Palm Pixi though, it's got a great keyboard and it's pretty cool but I would only suggest it to people who have never used an Android phone before.

Upvote 0
haha, well glad to hear you're coming back! Maybe, the 2nd Hero you get will work better.

I still have haptic feedback turned on when I type, just because I kind of like it. I get the occasional pause while I type, but it doesn't bother me enough to turn it off. I do have to agree with whoever it was that mentioned trying to correct the mistakes that auto-correct makes. If you're typing a word that is close to a word that is in your dictionary it will automatically change to the word in the dictionary. It's difficult sometimes to try and change it to what you really wanted to type. Frustrating.

Upvote 0
You are not asking to much, your expectations of the Hero are incorrect.

Sounds like your should get an iPhone.

you should be able to expect the phone you paid for to work as its advertised.

I dont own this phone, but i used to really want it. it looks really cool, but the more i read about it the less i want it. it seems like a buggy, glitchy, laggy phone.

the text issues in particular are annoying, i text quite a bit and im sure after having this phone for a while i would be very disappointed in the performance.

Ill wait for something a little more reliable to come along

Upvote 0
It's your choice and believe me, I fully understand you wanting to take your time and investigate things but during my 30 days I've tried everything from Sprint and it's not even a comparison between the other phones and the Hero.

You should read the rest of this thread, I was complaining but my complaints were equivalent to some dude in a Ferrari saying he wants to ditch his ride and get a minivan because the passenger seat didn't offer enough lumbar support.

you should be able to expect the phone you paid for to work as its advertised.

I dont own this phone, but i used to really want it. it looks really cool, but the more i read about it the less i want it. it seems like a buggy, glitchy, laggy phone.

the text issues in particular are annoying, i text quite a bit and im sure after having this phone for a while i would be very disappointed in the performance.

Ill wait for something a little more reliable to come along

Upvote 0
I installed Anysoft keyboard from the market for free and the keyboard is WAY easier to type on then the stock. I make way less mistakes with it

THANK YOU and thank you again I just tried anysoft keyboard from reading this post my God ! it is amazing I can control the size of the keys and it is so fast it keeps up with spell check and everything. So +rep you sir thanks : ) ;)

Upvote 0
like it's been stated before, turn off haptic feedback. Clear your cache's from your apps as well, that will likely help. It VERY rarely does the long press for me. Usually it'll only do it when I receive a text while I'm typing.

Haptic was turned off the millisecond I got a Hero (or any phone). I clear cache on my phone so often I wouldn't be surprised if it just stopped using cache all together. Only way to get rid of it is to constantly clear cache, turn location services off/on, reboot phone, close apps, do a Indian rain dance.

This phone is harder to keep running than a 1982 VW!

Upvote 0
THANK YOU and thank you again I just tried anysoft keyboard from reading this post my God ! it is amazing I can control the size of the keys and it is so fast it keeps up with spell check and everything. So +rep you sir thanks : ) ;)

Mine kept up for about a day, then started acting just like the original keyboard as far as lagging. It is a better keyboard, I'll give it that, but the phone eventually broke mine and it started lagging.

Something on this phone is NOT working right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones