1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Hero good option for an "Android Touch"?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by GotoDengo, Feb 26, 2011.

1. GotoDengo

GotoDengo Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi. I browsed over here looking for suggestions for an android device similar to the iPod touch. I'm currently stuck with a corporate-mandated blackberry, but am fed up with it and deciding between Android phone and iPhone in the next few months.

I've had an iPod touch for a while, and that's given me a good insight into what that ecosystem is like. I'd like to play around with an inexpensive wifi-only android device to see what that experience is like. My company owns the BB, so I don't even have a contract with a carrier, currently.

I found a used HTC Hero on craigslist... if I can get it for $100, would that be a good device for an android experience comparable to a current-gen model? I see that only 2.1 is supported, but also see there are custom ROMs for 2.2 and 2.3beta.

I saw this thread here, talking about the Galaxy Media Player and the CL Zen, but not sure when Galaxy will come to US, and trying to keep upper limit at $100 since this is just a test-drive for a possible droid phone.

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement

2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Yep, should work great. I would suggest rooting it and putting on a stock/AOSP ROM because alot of the Sense "fluff" would be pointless on a WIFI only device and it will likely be much faster.