1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root HTC Hero GSM wont start in recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bnnechifor, Aug 3, 2011.

1. bnnechifor

bnnechifor Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Romania
    Hi,

I am struggling with my Hero for 2 days now.

My device:
    HTC Hero GSM
    Firmware 1.5
    Build number: 2.73.405.5
    Soft version: 1.0.0A6288
    Kernel: 2.6.27-8dd6deee

What I am trying to do:
    Upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread (one of the many versions...)

What is the current issue:
    The phone is (at least this is what androot is telling) rooted.
    I have tried to put a recovery image on it but here I fail. It wont start in recovery mode - I press Home+Power and the HTC logo appears for 2 seconds then it disappear and nothing else happens. I have to remove the battery and only after that it starts (not in recovery).

What have I done:
    I had the custom ROM from Cyanogen on my phone - don't remember the version exactly but it was the one made after froyo. I wanted to update that to next version but bumped into some issues:
    1. I did not made a nandbackup - I know... I was not thinking straight!
    2. Somehow the new ROM did not installed.
    3. I used a gold card method to get to version 1.5 and now I don't have a recovery menu.

I have tried all I could find on the forums (AndroidSDK, ADB files etc) but still can't get the phone to start in recovery mode.

Please if someone has any idea or can help me it would be great! Thank so much in advance.

Best,
    K.

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    If the phone is rooted you should have the Superuser app in the app drawer.

Have you tried installing ROM Manager from the Market and using that to flash ClockworkMod Recovery?

3. bnnechifor

bnnechifor Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Romania
    First of all thank you for your reply!

I cannot install ROM Manager on the phone... First I cannot find the app in market (that is strange?!) but I have downloaded 2 versions from the internet 1.8.3.6 and 4.3.3.0 and I get the same message: ROM manager could not be installed on this phone.

I have the Superuser app, I also installed terminal emulator on the phone and flashed the image from that.
    After the flash command when I type "reboot recovery" it give me the next message: not permited!

I'll keep trying with what I find over the net but if you have any ideas please let me know :) Thank you again!

Best,
    K.

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    It sure is, as a search for "ROM" should be enough to bring it up at or near the top of the list.

4.3.3.0 is the current version I have installed on my own Hero, so there's no compatibility issue.

Open it, and at the $ prompt type "su" and hit <return>. What happens?

bnnechifor likes this.
  5. bnnechifor

bnnechifor Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Romania
    I managed to start the phone in recovery!!!

To answer your questions:
    I ran the TE again and at "su" command it grants super user rights. I wrote the command "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" and the cursor goes down with one line. I try to reboot from here and the same message "not permited". I exit TE and shut down the phone and try "home+power" and nothing.

I then got a bit mad and formatted the card from the HTC device. Uninstalled/installed HTC Sync App (don't think it matter but that is what I did :)) rebooted both PC and phone :D and started all over again with TE and a bit of patience...

After I ran the flash command from TE I waited for full 5 mins and only after that I exit the TE and shut the phone down. When pressing home+power, surprise... it stared in recovery!

I then managed to install a custom ROM!

I don't really understand what was going on or what I did this time to work but I am happy it did.

Thank you for your help and interest!

Best,
    K.

Slug likes this.
  6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I'm pleased that you sorted it out. :)

In cases such as this it's probably best not to worry - sometimes these things have a life of their own. The main thing is you solved the issue and now have a recovery installed. Your next step should be to use it to "backup" your current working setup so that you've got something to fall back on should anything go wrong in the future. ;)

Tags: