1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support HTC Hero Sync with gmail contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by soleary, Aug 17, 2010.

1. soleary

soleary Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi

I have my phone contacts set to Auto-sync with my gmail contacts. My question is if I happened to lose my phone and someone erased all my contacts on the phone, would my gmail contacts be erased also beacuse of the Auto-sync? If so, is there a way to safeguard against this?

Thanks
    soleary

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I think that could happen yes.

You can export all your contacts in a .csv file, via the gmail interface, as a backup though :)

3. soleary

soleary Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking as much. As good as the functionality is, the backup kind of defeats the purpose of having the seamless integration. I have backed up my contacts but would prefer if gmail had a recylce bin (or similar) to avoid losing contacts altogether (in the case that 'mass' data could be erased). I may not remember to back up the data everytime I save a new number to the phone!!

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I bet google could get it back for you if you asked nicely :)

Still, having some kind of prevention against this would still be a good idea. It's always possible it does exist and we've missed it I suppose.

5. soleary

soleary Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for your reply. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

6. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    student
    Croatia
    I think you could duplicate your contacts and add them to a new group and simply choose from your phone not to sync with that group, so you don't get duplicate contacts on your phone.

I will dig for a solution, as soon as my Hero boots up from this last update :D

Tags: