• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero Telus on USA AT&T, 2.1 update & market question

I have unlocked GSM HTC Hero from Telus Canada, using in USA with ATT running 1.5.

Basically, I would like to be able to update to the official 2.1 when available, be able to use 3G service in the USA and in Southeast Asia (where I have to travel often for work), as well as access and download from the App Market in USA and Asia via WIFI if possible.

I tried googling as well as searching in the forums but have not found any conclusive answers yet.

Please can someone give a conclusive answer to the following questions :

1. I want to know that when the official 2.1 update comes out for the HTC Hero GSM unlocked version, do I have to get the service specific update for my phone, i.e. do I have to hope that Telus Cananda will make available the 2.1 for download, because I don't think I will get the OTA since I am using on AT&T in the USA.

OR does or will HTC, or anyone else, put out an official unbranded (generic) 2.1 update that any HTC Hero owner, using any service, can download and self update?

I heard that the Hero from European countries and the Hero from Telus Canada, as well as in Asian counties are different in their 3g Banding.

If the answer is YES to question 1, then will it effect my 3G banding? I am currently enjoying the "3G/HSPA" on AT&T in USA via updating the APN settings. Will I lose/break that somehow by updating to a 2.1 that is not specific for Telus HTC Hero? Will the unlock status of the Hero also remain in tact after doing such an update?

2. Another question is since our HTC Heros are the gsm unlocked version, will we be able to access the app market from any country over WIFI while using the phone with a local/international SIM card? In my case, it will be in Vietnam specifically. I had a G1 before and know this was not possible when I was over in Asia, but was hoping it was just because the G1 was never marketed for many overseas countries.

3. If the answer to question 1 is NO, then is it safe enough to root my Hero to update with an unofficial customized ROM, and again, will it disable the Telus 3G banding so that I am able to continue using it with AT&T 3G?

I have some asian HTC Hero on AT&T as well. I asked a similar question about updating to the US generic 2.1 ROM when it comes out, someone told me that I can only download the asian update when it comes out, unless i root my phone. I tried using my serial number to see if i can download the US version of 2.73 update from the HTC site, and it said its not suitable for my device (mine shipped with 2.73 already). So I guess we are stuck with whatever region we got our phone from to get our update.

Im not sure about your other questions. sorry.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply...

What if by chance Telus will not offer a downloadable upgrade, and it is only OTA upgrade?

One more question is I have one more HTC Hero unlocked gsm version that was originally from some European country, I have no idea which service it was meant for, so how would I figure that out. I don't even know where to begin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones