• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero - what a mistake

Blimey! Really stirred up a hornet's nest here haven't I?! I suppose being critical of the Hero in a Hero forum was a bit cheeky of me! :D

Maybe, but you're also being (in your own words) objective. That sort of criticism is constructive, so carry one. :)

I had experienced these strange noises with my in-ear Sennheisers (not cheap) which I think must have been some sort of electrical interference - as if you could hear the thing working!
I use CX300's, which although hardly expensive are in-ear jobbies and work much better than the stock 'phones. Maybe it's an impedance issue? That might also explain why some are quieter than others - I can't turn the media volume up past 80% on the CXs as it's painfully loud.

Call quality. It was fine at my mate's. Fair enough - network issue. Having said that I don't think it picks up a signal as well as some other phones. Potential for a firmware update? I don't know.
I think it's down to local network coverage. Mine is actually better at holding onto a connection than the N95 was, yet other Orange customers have had the opposite.

Interface. Ok, I'm getting used to it.
Hang in there - you'll soon see why we all love it. :D

Jimmy Hill Chin ;-) . I'm getting used to it. Have to say though the volume control was designed by a moron. It's so flush it's difficult to find the up down button in your pocket. Could be far more tactile. Disappointing.
Agree with you there, although my problem was unintentionally finding it and blowing my eardrums! Since I wrapped it in a Momax case it's impossible to press it accidentally but very easy to find it by touch due to the case cut-out.

OK, unleash hell! :D
Not at all, it's a smartphone not a religion. I suspect most of us had similar moments moving to a completely new platform. It takes time to adjust, and it's inevitable that the Hero (and Android) won't suit everyone.

Upvote 0
When the display turns off, why can't you just tap the sceen. Why do you have to press the power button to wake it up?

You've answered your own question.

You can't tap the screen because the display is off. In much the same way the door won't open because it's locked or the TV won't turn off because it's unplugged. There is no power going to the screen, how could it respond without any power going to it?

Upvote 0
I'm glad the phone is winning you over!
Make sure you get Taskpanel X off the market (and set it to auto kill, and select the wanted apps it will kill periodically) since the phone can get slow if you let it multitask too much.

Also turn off background data if you can (reactivate when needed), and set update frequencies (for facebook twitter etc) to 2 hours+, you can always manually update, and the weather widget should be set to manually update.

On top of this, stick a Wifi toggle widget on your homescreen and switch it on only when you need wifi.

Don't know if you've done these things already but it will greatly improve battery life (and speed in some cases).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones