• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[HTC] HTC is in a big mess now

patch321

Jun 8, 2010
So I'm looking to make a jump from iphone to the One. However I'm worried about Google/HTC continuing support throughout the life of the phone.

I'm even more so worried because of the talks of HTC being on the ropes. What are One owners to do if HTC dissapears after a year of owning it?

Does this not worry anyone else?

So I'm looking to make a jump from iphone to the One. However I'm worried about Google/HTC continuing support throughout the life of the phone.

I'm even more so worried because of the talks of HTC being on the ropes. What are One owners to do if HTC dissapears after a year of owning it?

Does this not worry anyone else?

Google doesnt provide support for the one series, thats solely on HTC and your carrier.

With that being said, multicarrier flagship devices will tend to get a lot of support just because so many people are using the phone. Im not worried about HTC going under. They've settled their patent disputes with apple and can focus on making phones now.

In the end, buy a phone for the features it has, not features it could get someday.

If youre interested in always having the latest google updates to android look into either rooting your devices or purchasing a nexus

Upvote 0
I suspect that HTC would not just up and disappear. I believe they have a small portfolio of patents and other assets that would be attractive to other companies. I would imagine that there would be a partner or competitor that would be willing to buy up HTC in a worst case scenario. It would then be up to that company to support (or abandon - not likely) the current customer base.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I did not know they were having problems. Knew about the lawsuits with Apple but those are always settled. And they weren't the only ones Apple sued. As many phones as they sell, why are they in trouble? :thinking:

Various reasons, Samsung dominating the Android smartphone base being one, other manufacturers eating in to their market share etc. Relasing too many handsets etc.

A lot of people seem to be annoyed that they'll release a flasgship, then 5-6 months later, they release a new and improved version (Desire -> Desire HD, Sensation -> Sensation XL/XE, One X -> One X+).

The way they market stuff leaves a lot to be desired too.

They've said they'll change things with the One though, it'll be their only flagship for the year and they're going to invest a little more in marketing.

Upvote 0
There's a lot of herd mentality in the media coverage of HTC. "HTC in financial trouble" is a familiar, sensational, lazy headline that can be regurgitated on autopilot. A more nuanced story like "HTC market share and profits down, but they still have a sizeable turnover and are still actually making a profit" doesn't make a snappy headline that gets clicks and ad revenue.

They are not going to disappear in the lifetime of this handset. Anyone saying otherwise has either never read beyond the headlines or has an agenda.

Upvote 0
I am ready to get the HTC One, but I read today the company is in a big mess. The top people are quitting.

HTC in disarray: staff departures, 'disastrous' First, and production problems cloud company's future | The Verge

HTC Said To Be In "Complete Disarray" As Key Staff Exit, Struggles To Keep Up With One Demand | TmoNewsTmoNews

What should I do man? I thought this phone is soo cool and I really like the two front speakers when I do Skype on it and the non-shinny non plastic at the back.

Very confused.

Upvote 0
IMO, what's happening with HTC takes nothing away from the One. It's a stunning piece of hardware that, perhaps, only exists in the current form due to HTC's struggles. It is worrisome HTC is in a downward cycle. Everyone benefits from competition, and HTC has been a key player in moving the bar for Android devices.

I'm convinced there will be adequate Android community development as well, and we'll have plenty of choices to customize the HTC One over it's lifetime.

Upvote 0
Old talent leaves, new talent comes in - they could be leaving for any number of reasons, and the usual one is lack of faith in leadership. Panic is another reason.

Think about this: just because the Chief Product Officer left doesn't mean they don't have a plan. They've likely got a 2 to 5 year roadmap still. Companies like that never work from one device to another, they're always working and refining. So the rest of the product team is still there. I seriously doubt that Peter Chou is making "snap decisions" as one of the articles points out.

And it's only coming out now - the others have left over the last three months, they didn't just walk out the door in one clump. Most of them landed with competitors or companies that are adjacent to the space - that's not surprising, and it's possible they were poached for more money, more perks, more anything. If a company came to you and said, hey... let's talk about a potential position here, you'd talk, right? Talking never hurts anything, and if it turns into a sweet deal, why not take it? Once one person leaves because they found a good deal, the others might think about it, especially if they've been there for awhile.

Upvote 0
A lot of what's reported about HTC is sensationalist. Yeah they've hit a rocky patch, but I doubt they're going anywhere any time soon.

The One is a quality phone, I'm sure if you pick one up, you're not going to be disappointed

I would pick up the One. Don't worry about a few departures. Notice who is departing. Even that piece on The Verge states that most of the people leaving are in advertisements/sale/branding department which as you know has not been doing a good job for HTC. I actually view this as a good thing because they need better people in there. People who actually matters, the programmers etc are not leaving.

Upvote 0
I am ready to get the HTC One, but I read today the company is in a big mess. The top people are quitting.

HTC in disarray: staff departures, 'disastrous' First, and production problems cloud company's future | The Verge

HTC Said To Be In "Complete Disarray" As Key Staff Exit, Struggles To Keep Up With One Demand | TmoNewsTmoNews

What should I do man? I thought this phone is soo cool and I really like the two front speakers when I do Skype on it and the non-shinny non plastic at the back.

Very confused.

Top people quitting would have no effect on this phone.

Upvote 0
The only seemingly realistic concern I've read about that tries to tie the One to HTC's current state is how they'll handle warranty & accidental damages.

iFixit's teardown report says due to the amount of adhesives used, just about nothing is repairable on the One (screen replacement, bad battery) without damaging the phone. Which means almost no refurb availability, which means any warranty or typical smartphone damage on the One will require handing out a brand new phone. Given HTC's current state, some question whether they can afford or have the capacity to be as generous as in the past, or will HTC take a hard line with consumers that have warranty or damage issues.

Granted, this is an extremely well made phone with high quality components, so I'd expect a much lower defect and accidental damage rate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones