1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Incredible Battery life and AA charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AmySkewed, Aug 9, 2011.

1. AmySkewed

AmySkewed Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi All,

I have had my HTC Incredible for about 9 months, and for a while I thought I had battery life under control. Over the last week it has become a problem again, and I would like to see if anyone can help. (please note, my husband has the same phone and we experienced identical issues)

I spent last weekend at a 3 day festival where cell coverage was awful. Each day my phone (off the charger around 9am) had less than 30% charge by 3pm. I was consciously using it as little as possible, but texting was a critical part of keeping track of people.

Knowing ahead of time that it would be critical to use my phone I brought along AA - USB battery chargers (one by iGo, the other by Energizer). With these and 2 sets of batteries per phone we managed to stay alive until about 11 pm all three days.

Question 1: Was the horrible cell coverage affecting my battery life? The "Cell Standby" app was listed as using more than 30% of my battery at all times, so I would guess that the lack of coverage caused the radio to keep trying to reach the cell and thus drain the battery. Is that likely?

Question 2: Did using the AA charger cause any sort of damage to the current battery? In the 2 days since we got back, my phone seems to be in worse shape than it was before the festival. Today I was in the red by NOON!!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    To Q2: USB is a standard with 5V output. AA charger from companies like iGo and Energizer should meet this standard.
    So I think charging your phones with this chargers did no harm :)

Harry

AmySkewed likes this.
  3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Low cell reception is at the top of the list for killing your battery, if possible (obviously not in this exact situation) it is best to put your phone in airplane mode when in a no/low reception area.

I doubt the chargers did any damage to your battery, but sounds like you are experiencing normal battery degradation and might be worth it to purchase new batteries if you plan on keeping the phone for another year.

AmySkewed likes this.