• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Incredible Silent Switch

I thought that switch on the iPhone that exposes the red dot was a self destruct switch for when you just couldn't take not getting great signal anymore!?
leaving.gif

Reactions: Angels Punishment
Upvote 0
I don't understand why this isn't a more common setting. It's probably one of my favorite things about the iPhone because it's so convenient when you can just feel the toggle through your pocket and automatically switch right to vibrate/silent. How disappointing...

That silent switch on the iPhone was terrible if you used a case on the phone. I had to keep my left index fingernail extra long, just to reach the switch.

I have never put cases on my iPhones because they are quite durable phones.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this isn't a more common setting. It's probably one of my favorite things about the iPhone because it's so convenient when you can just feel the toggle through your pocket and automatically switch right to vibrate/silent. How disappointing...

I have never put cases on my iPhones because they are quite durable phones.

I think durability depends on the model. If you had the 3GS, you probably heard all about the micro-cracks and their effect on the silent switch, headset plug, and speakers. At worst, the micro-cracks coalesced into a larger crack near those vulnerable areas. The cracks would deepen and, in some cases, have literally caused the toggle switch to drop out of the phone.

It's not a case of having micro-cracks or not (all 3GS had them to some extent), it's just whether the cracks coalesced or not and where larger cracks formed. When I noticed the cracks on my 3GS, Apple was quick to replace it but the genius helping me made a point that "the backings are plastic so they WILL crack, just so you know...".

Upvote 0
Surely it would be easy for the phone manufacturer or android to make an option where the volume button or power button is pressed a couple of times in quick succession it would happen? (i.e. go to silent an vice versa)
I can see some people not liking it in-case it happens by accident, but the option could then simply be turned off in settings etc.

Anyway this really stems from bluenova's comment:
By 'external' do you mean a hardware button? If so you can use the volume control down hardware button. The last 2 steps are silent and then vibrate.

Which unfortunately doesn't work on my phone.

I also switched from the iPhone and have no regrets. I've found there's an app for pretty much anything you miss from the iPhone.

Think I might go off and enquire/suggest with HTC now..

Upvote 0

I suppose this is personal preference, but honestly I don't think I would want a switch like that on my phone. I'd always worry whether or not I had inadvertently switched the sound on in my pocket when it was supposed to be on vibrate.

Upvote 0
I hold the power button for 2 seconds then press "vibrate only".

As for the iPhone volume talk: something I realized coming from my 3GS to Android: Apple bunches all the volume settings into 1 master volume. You cannot have your media volume on without also having ringtones set to the same volume on an iOS device. This is a great illustration of how Android gives you more control throughout the entire experience, and thusly why I prefer it.

Upvote 0
Agreed....Flexibility is a definite PLUS for Android. This is so true beyond just the volume functions....it pretty much applies to every aspect of the OS in comparison to Apple.

I hold the power button for 2 seconds then press "vibrate only".

As for the iPhone volume talk: something I realized coming from my 3GS to Android: Apple bunches all the volume settings into 1 master volume. You cannot have your media volume on without also having ringtones set to the same volume on an iOS device. This is a great illustration of how Android gives you more control throughout the entire experience, and thusly why I prefer it.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the switch pro widget requires you to get the phone out of your pocket?
I have the Silent Toggle Switch.

(I also agree that the android has much more flexibility - this is one of the main reasons I switched)

Anyway.. I decided to try and make the app myself but after making a temperature converter app (one of the tutorials) I decided I might give it a miss as its a whole new set of parameters that might not even end up being possible.

My phone doesn't have the function where you hold the power button down to get the silent settings.

Thanks for the advice sharper4 but I don't want to be the ass getting my phone out in a meeting

Upvote 0
Not trying to troll or argue, but I don't understand the difference between hitting the switch on the iPhone and holding down the volume down button on the Incredible. Both can be done to switch your phone to vibrate/silent without looking at the phone or pulling it out of your pocket, as you said. The volume toggle takes marginally longer (maybe) since you have to hold it down, but the iPhone switch requires more finesse to use.

Upvote 0
If its just for a random call because you're in a meeting, just flip the phone over and it'll stop ringing. Otherwise, grab a widget.
Not true.

Flipping the phone face down only works once the phone starts ringing, and it only silences the ringer for that call. If you get another call after you've flipped the phone over it will ring again.

Also, I'd say that the power button counts as a hardware button.... As others have said, just hold it down and you get several options including: Power off; Silent mode; Vibration mode; Airplane mode; Mobile network

Upvote 0
Not true.

Flipping the phone face down only works once the phone starts ringing, and it only silences the ringer for that call. If you get another call after you've flipped the phone over it will ring again.

Or you could use Tasker to create a profile that states when you turn the phone over it will automatically turn on silent or vibrate mode and stay that way until you turn the phone back over again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones