• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Inspire Battery Experiences...

If heavy use=streaming media then that would be impressive.

Yeah thats the question isn't it? Can't really make any judgments on this because they didn't define "heavy use", or at least I didn't see any value. Only thing I saw on HTCSource.com was " the battery is at 45% after being unplugged for 7 hours."

Do you have the actual source?

Upvote 0
Really, you can sit in this thread all day and poop on what everyone is saying (forums memberrs, review sites, etc). You can always claim something isn't defined or something doesn't count because of this reason or that. In the end its just trolling. The battery life is fine, not ground breaking, not a deal breaker, according to all sources. Chill out and wait for more people to get it so we can attest to the battery life. no point in waging pointless arguments.

Reactions: AndreaCristiano
Upvote 0
Really, you can sit in this thread all day and poop on what everyone is saying (forums memberrs, review sites, etc). You can always claim something isn't defined or something doesn't count because of this reason or that. In the end its just trolling. The battery life is fine, not ground breaking, not a deal breaker, according to all sources. Chill out and wait for more people to get it so we can attest to the battery life. no point in waging pointless arguments.

Geez some of you gotta relax. So sensitve when it comes to having a discussion or debate. All I said was we disnt know what "heavy use" is so how can you come to a conclusion? And I'm not even sure what trolling is... but it sure is thrown around these forums.

Upvote 0
Geez some of you gotta relax. So sensitve when it comes to having a discussion or debate. All I said was we disnt know what "heavy use" is so how can you come to a conclusion? And I'm not even sure what trolling is... but it sure is thrown around these forums.

Trolling is when a guy has such little number of posts and they dont add nothing to the forums just antagonize and harass, just for the sake of being contrarian

Reactions: chief113
Upvote 0
Hey all - newbie to the forum here but phone addict.

I am a recruiter, for multiple clients, and usually have multiple exchange accounts pushing to my device. This is a battery killer - I've had a bunch of phones recently (nexus one, palm pre plus, capitvate, focus, dell streak, iphone 4, all within the last month, haha...thanks Gazelle, Craigslist, and returns) to find the best functionality/battery balance, and it's an elusive beast.

For example, I just ditched my iphone 4 (with mophie juice pack) because I couldn't store files on the device without jailbreaking. I got the Inspire yesterday, plugged in a bunch of (20 or so) apps, 2 google accounts, twitter, fb, and an exchange account (soon to be two).

As a heavy user, with typically 2 exchange accounts pushing to the device, I usually have lousy battery life and have to carry around a charger or extra batteries. Best battery life to date is the WP7 focus, but the lack of dropbox and multitasking was a dealbreaker - a typical call for me is: bt headset, open dropbox/evernote/email to view resume and job description, email description to candidate from the device (dropbox or cut and paste from evernote) while on the phone, and lasts 20-30 min or longer.

Anyway...I am excited about the Inspire, but I know battery life will be a challenge. The phone itself is awesome - the notification light has been a much missed feature, and the built in exchange support for mail and calendar so far is great. I'll be running this as my main device, and will report back in a week with a battery report. Here's a typical day so you get where I am coming from:

1-2 email accounts pushing to device (Exchange/Activesync)
30 min commute with music via BT headset or youtube 2x a day on my daily commute.
~5 calls during the day, averaging about 60 min of talk time (prob 2 out of 5 days, usually as soon as I step out of the office or out of the house and away from my home machine)
20 texts through the course of a day.

My plan is to charge overnight and run this thing from 7 am to whenever the battery craps out during the day over the course of the next week to see how it fares. It has to be better than the Dell Streak, which lasted about 4 hours off the charger with heavy use - wifi, bt, 1 hour of calls, and 20-30 texts per day.

Upvote 0
Granted I'm new, and have yet to get the Inspire, I don't understand this battery issue crap. I've NEVER had a smartphone that I didn't have to charge every night at bedtime. I'm a full time university student, not to mention a 22 year old girl (I'm constantly texting, Facebooking, or on the phone) and I have to charge my iPhone 4 by 2 then on the drive home around 9. I know it uses up alot of "juice" because I'm on it alot, so why complain? I know I'm going to do the same when I finally get the Inspire!! :)

I'll be happy if it lasts 9.5 hours with how I use it. Very happy.

Upvote 0
Granted I'm new, and have yet to get the Inspire, I don't understand this battery issue crap. I've NEVER had a smartphone that I didn't have to charge every night at bedtime. I'm a full time university student, not to mention a 22 year old girl (I'm constantly texting, Facebooking, or on the phone) and I have to charge my iPhone 4 by 2 then on the drive home around 9. I know it uses up alot of "juice" because I'm on it alot, so why complain? I know I'm going to do the same when I finally get the Inspire!! :)

I'll be happy if it lasts 9.5 hours with how I use it. Very happy.

I agree 100%

Upvote 0
Just to comment on these car analogies...they are way off. People are commenting that they have made the engine a lot more efficient, but for some reason talking about how fast you go on it. That does not directly relate to your battery. But if you make a more efficient engine and then SHRINK THE GAS TANK, then your range stays the same 300 Miles per tank (per say). So people are complaining that yea, you made a chipset that uses less power, but then shrunk the amount of power avail (aka the tank) if you end up with the same range (or usage time) than what was the point.

Secondly, i agree, the battery needs to be addressed. These smart phones are supposed to increase your productivity, and increase in functionality, so its only right that the amount of time you're going to be on it will increase as well. So if you go ahead and make the chip more efficient, why dont you spend the time making a battery more efficient also by fitting more in the same size. Then the increase in usage time is exponential. I have to agree, coming out with a phone that gets the same usage time as another, completely moots the fact its running on a more efficient chipset. Poorly thought out

Upvote 0
I took mine off the charger at 2:00 AM on Monday 2/14, with a full charge. It's been a day of pretty light use. . . about 4-5 calls <2 minutes each; downloaded a few apps from the market; 5-10 minutes of internet; sent and/or received about 15-20 emails; took 4 or 5 pictures; alarm went off this morning and was snoozed about 3 or 4 times; used the flashlight feature for a minute or two last night after it was taken off the charger; maybe a couple of other things here or there that I'm forgetting (not taking into account the automatic syncing to HTC Sense, etc.).

It is currently at 51%, and it is 4:00 PM Monday 2/14.

Don't know if that is good, bad, or average, but it seems better than with my old iPhone 3GS (though I am sure I could just be making that up since I switched to the Inspire).

Reactions: Covert_Death
Upvote 0
This is based on the last 24+ hours but so far its been pretty impressive.

I bought the phone yesterday around 11am and used it pretty extensively (including phone calls and data) for the next 2-3 hours until the phone warned me that the battery was down to 10%. Keep in mind, I did not charge the phone directly out of the box. I used all the juice it had without going into a deep save mode (phone turning off) but pretty close.

I then turned the phone off and swapped my SIM back into my captivate so I could give my new Inspire a full charge cycle without interruption. The Inspire took around two and a half to three hours of charging while the phone was turned off before the display gave me the 100% sign. Obviously at that moment I put my SIM back into the Inspire, turned it on and went back to work on getting everything set up (People, contacts, mail, wi-fi, apps, etc). With moderate to heavy use last night I decided not to put my phone back on the charger while I went to sleep for the night and simply set my alarm like all was normal. The phone had a little over 3/4ths battery indication at this point. This morning I was delighted to see the phone had about the same battery indication after about 9 hours of stand by time and an alarm interruption.

So far today using the phone mildly with light browsing, 2 app installs, more work on contacts, customizing the home screens, several phone calls, plenty of texting, and perusing Sense2.0 im happy to report that the phone still has almost 1/2 the battery indication at 4pm.

I DID NOT charge out of the box and instead sucked all the battery that came with the phone out of it without letting it turn off and then turned the phone off to enjoy a full charge cycle back to 100%. BTW, I turned the phone back on around 730 last night (after the full charge cycle). I have not had to put it back on the charger yet. So almost a full 24 hours has passed, on one full charge, with a 7 hour moderate use and a 9 hour standby session through the night and im still at almost half a full battery indication.

I wil say that if the last 24 hours or so is any indication of the phones battery capabilities ill be fine in the coming months with this phone. I also highly suggest any new buyers to try this process

Upvote 0
very nice review. i am stunned at how many people have said already the battery life is good. all the reviews i read stated that battery life was horrible...

this is why i as REAL people what they find

Thanks!

Yes because there is a lot of bias in a lot if the reviews its sad but that's the way it is. Also to echo I'm getting awesome battery. Took it of the charger at 1030 its 617 I have 66% moderate to heavy use

Upvote 0
I bought mine at 11am yesterday morning. It had 40% charge out of the box.

Since I have other phones, I used my Droid X while I gave the Inspire a full charge before using it.

Now fully charged, I used it nonstop to participate in the various forums I belong to. Since I was at home I used wifi. I also did some browsing and email for a total of four hours of use. The battery level was at 62%. Pretty impressive, and far better than my Droid X, Captivate, or EVO.

I Then proceeded to use the phone for just over two hours. At this point the battery was at 51%. I charged it overnight & left for work at 6am this morning. Today was a day in the field driving a total of 120 miles, making calls off and on for approximately five hours.

Now in my hotel, I've been on wifi handling my email. Normally I would use my laptop for this, but I'm very eager to get as much time on my Inspire so I can determine what real life battery life is. It's currently at 59%. I continue to be both amazed @ pleased at the long life of the battery. One note: I'm using a static, plain, solid color wallpaper. Other than that I'm running the stock configuration so far. The standard Sense UI is quite appealing, I have no immediate plans to change it.

So that's my experience thus far, just as I had hoped, the HTC Inspire has been the best Android experience yet. It's very fast.

Upvote 0
I bought mine at 11am yesterday morning. It had 40% charge out of the box.

Since I have other phones, I used my Droid X while I gave the Inspire a full charge before using it.

Now fully charged, I used it nonstop to participate in the various forums I belong to. Since I was at home I used wifi. I also did some browsing and email for a total of four hours of use. The battery level was at 62%. Pretty impressive, and far better than my Droid X, Captivate, or EVO.

I Then proceeded to use the phone for just over two hours. At this point the battery was at 51%. I charged it overnight &amp; left fir work at 6am this morning. Today was a day in the field driving a total of 120 miles, making calls off and on for approximately five hours.

Now in my hotel, I've been on wifi handling my email. Normally I would use my laptop for this, but I'm very eager to get as much time on my Inspire so I can determine what real life battery life is. It's currently at 59%. I continue to be both amazed @ pleased at the long life of the battery. One note: I'm using a static, plain, solid color wallpaper. Other than that I'm running the stock configuration so far. The standard Sense UI is quite appealing, I have no immediate plans to change it.

So that's my experience thus far, just as I had hoped, the HTC Inspire has been the best Android experience yet. It's very fast.

This mimics my usage and experience I'm overly impressed they optimized this battery greatly

Upvote 0
This mimics my usage and experience I'm overly impressed they optimized this battery greatly

Very true.

Just a guess on my part, but after using an EVO (since they were released) I get the feeling they've applied all they've learned to the Inspire which is why it's so advanced as compared to my EVO.

The inspire is so smooth & seamless when transitioning between apps, home screens, or any other operation, this is a very well refined model.

Upvote 0
I think most professional tech reviewer's of the Inspire saw that the battery was 1230mah and immediately thought that the battery life would be bad. Its like a self-fulfilling prophecy and that never really had a chance once the reviewer saw what was posted on the spec sheet.

Plus people's usage is very subjective and moderate use to some will be light or even heavy use to others depending on how often they use their device and thats why I gave examples of what I was performing on the phone.

So far I can not complain. Anyone who says this phone is just a spruced up Evo is wrong, it feels like a completely different phone that just so happens to have the same size screen and camera.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones