1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support htc inspire virus?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eduran214, Mar 3, 2011.

1. eduran214

eduran214 Lurker
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Well Ive been wanting to connect my new htc inspire to my computer but i have one question...My computer has a virus or trojan dont know but is it possible if i connect my phone to my computer and sync it will a virus transfer to my phone?

Advertisement

2. Allenfx

Allenfx Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    SouthEast
    No, it shouldnt transfer

One question, why don't you remove the virus from your computer. Knock on wood but i have never met a virus i couldnt remove (only once requiring a reformat).

If the virus defeats your antivirus software and closes it....its still fairly easy to defeat by going into your task manager and shutting down every non essential back ground program running and then launching your antivirus software and running it to remove it.

Once i had a bad boy virus that not only shut down my anti-virus software..but if i hit ctrl-alt-del and went iinto the task manager..it would close THAT.

That was before windows had some things in place to prevent such activities...but BOY was that one a beast to defeat.

I defeated it by booting up the computer and while it was "loading" stuff. i HIT CTRL ALT DEL very quickly and managed to stop the program before it locked itself in....i was also able to go through the file manager and find it and partially delete it...THEN i got my avg to detect it and remove the rest. (I doubt that would work on a modern computer as they load things so fricken fast on boot up id never be able to get in the task manager fast enough).

I had a similiar one years ago i was able to defeat via booting into safe mode and stopping it...

Ond one other that i had to reformat the whole pc to get rid of..yea it takes a few hours of work but i wotn have a pc thats infected..its a "non-option".

eduran214 likes this.
  3. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I would not connect the phone because if you mount it as a disk drive, then there is a good chance it will infect the microSD. It will not affect the phone, but if it's connected to another pc (or your cleaned PC), it could re-infect you if it auto runs.

eduran214 likes this.
  4. kimtyson

kimtyson Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    IT Security Professional
    York, Pa, USA
    Almost all viruses are Operating System dependant. So, a Windows virus will not affect an Android phone. You have Windows, right.

5. thoffland

thoffland Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Arizona
    If you have a fake anti virus program that installed itself run Rkill.scr (from bleepingcomputer.com) on it, that one usually gets by without the fake av shutting it down. Also delete the .exe file that it points out in the notepad that will pop up. Then run SuperAntiSpyware (from download.com) on it and that should clean it up.

Then run your antivirus on it, or Trend Micro Houscall (free online scanner) just to be sure you got rid of it.

I have to remove these at work on a weekly basis... these programs always do the trick for me.

eduran214 likes this.
  6. InspireMe

InspireMe Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    First of all you should never be ok with "living" with a virus. You have had a few tips here on removing said virus, but if you can't remove it you need to find someone who can. (One of the easiest, most straightforward ways to remove it would be a clean install of Windows with a reformat).

Secondly, a few posts here have hit the nail on the head. If you have a Windows virus there is virtually no way it will propagate itself onto your device. It would have to be written for that purpose alone, just for the language differences. AFAIK the only common thread Windows shares with an Android device (besides Java itself) is the file system (FAT32) on you SD card.

I think Tware's advice is sound because of the file system being identical but I don't know that for sure. Why take the chance?

Fix your rig man!

eduran214 and Ferrari353 like this.
  7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

The best advice you're getting in this thread is telling you to not connect your device (or anything) to a machine that you suspect to be infected; it is irresponsible to do that for many reasons, but one is that you yourself could propagate the virus to other machines, especially if it is of the type that finds and exploits contact and email addresses, etc.

Have a professional tech examine your machine and remove the infection if one is present. Or, as a second choice go to the parent site of your OS (Microsoft it it's Windows, etc) on another computer and follow instructions after inputting a search/query for virus eradication.

eduran214 likes this.