• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Keyboard Install--Has anyone tried on Droid?

It's not impressive on 2.0/Droid. The entire keyboard looks awful and it does not function correctly. I couldn't turn off suggestive text no matter what I did. It also makes the hardware QWERTY act strange in the browser. It constantly shows a suggestive text bar at the bottom of the window, and pressing space enters a period in the address bar, regardless of what your preference is.

I'd wait for the 2.1 version.

Upvote 0
I tried another Touch apk I found from the original post and tried it...didn't work either so I uninstalled it. Then neither Better Keyboard or the stock Droid keyboard would work...

Had to uninstall and re-install the Better keyboard to get things working again. Haven't tried the Droid keyboard again, don't want to mess with anything else...

Upvote 0
It's not impressive on 2.0/Droid. The entire keyboard looks awful and it does not function correctly. I couldn't turn off suggestive text no matter what I did. It also makes the hardware QWERTY act strange in the browser. It constantly shows a suggestive text bar at the bottom of the window, and pressing space enters a period in the address bar, regardless of what your preference is.

I'd wait for the 2.1 version.
Well the installer i was talking about was from the 2.1 rom from htc that was leaked. So it should hopefully work better. Now the question is how long before someone gets it working for us.

Upvote 0
I don't think so...pressing two keys at once doesn't do anything. Not an issue for me...can't imagine typing fast enough that it would be an issue... :)

I'm at the point now that I'm typing too fast on the soft keyboard. hardware keyboard is almost completely unusable to me now. I would highly welcome a multitouch implementation but based on the comments in this thread, I'll not be trying out the current htc version on my DROIIIID.

Upvote 0
This was originally created for the G1 to use the HTC keyboard...has anyone tried it with the droid?

How to get the HTC Hero Keyboard (Android) | AllShadow.com

I've been using it for a while. It works very nicely, but doesn't fill the screen in landscape mode due to the Droid's resolution and aspect ratio. I don't know if this link is the exact same .apk file that I used, but the one I have works wonderfully and has never force closed on me. If you set it up right, you can also use its text prediction on the physical keyboard, which I do regularly and love.

Upvote 0
I've been using it for a while. It works very nicely, but doesn't fill the screen in landscape mode due to the Droid's resolution and aspect ratio. I don't know if this link is the exact same .apk file that I used, but the one I have works wonderfully and has never force closed on me. If you set it up right, you can also use its text prediction on the physical keyboard, which I do regularly and love.

So can you post your link or the APK file and how you got it installed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones