• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC likely to push back Android 2.0 Passion launch to early 2010, say sources

wonderbread

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
Hot night for Passion news it seems.

DIGITIMES reports that the Passion is being pushed back to early 2010 instead of EOY 2009 as originally planned. They are pushing it back to further enhance the custom apps on the Android 2.0 platform says the source. Interestingly the source also specs the Passion as being a 3.5" screen instead of 3.7" but with an OLED display (!). The source also mentions the Hero successor due out in February, saying it will have a qwerty but that it is NOT the Passion. No carrier info was mentioned.

Exciting to hear "sources" refer to the Passion by name.

HTC likely to push back Android 2.0 Passion launch to early 2010, say sources

Update: Here is a little photoshop comparison I did of the two screens to see if the 3.5" claim could be plausible. The conclusion is that the Passion's screen is slightly smaller (maybe by 5%). This comparison assumes the devices are of the same physical height.

I'm tired of these articles where someone's "source" says it will be coming out at a certain time. Then that time comes and the source says it will be coming out a little later...and so on. I want some real hard evidence and dates lol! (and not a quarter or "early this year" or "late that year")

My rant is over.

And btw 4.3" to now 3.5"? Just put Android on the damn HD2 for crying out loud!

Upvote 0
HTC is working to further advance the software attached to the Passion, explained the sources, who are familiar with the Passion roadmap
Looks like the reason for the delay is Sense UI...

I think they got the 3.5" wrong.. It will be 3.7"... I don't think I've heard of a 3.5" device on most platforms...

If this report is true.. Then the Passion Doesn't = GPhone...

This was my break down a few mins. ago before reading this..

HTC Passion = GPhone (Passion for TMobile & PassionC for Verizon)

HTC Dragon = HTC Bravo...

if this report is thru then...

HTC Dragon = HTC Passion (TMobile) = HTC PassionC (Verizon) = HTC Bravo (TMobile UK/ERO)

And we still don't know anything about the GPhone...

Upvote 0
For those who can wait, it appears as if there will be multiple options (not just one SD phone from HTC) coming forth.

Moto Droids in their current form will be considered clunky in terms of functionality and design by the middle of next year.

Am very impressed with the Sense UI and want a something a little more than the pure Google experience.

That Bravo looks pretty sweet. That's supposedly HTC's flagship, correct? Usually I try to buy the best that I can afford at the time of purchase and hold onto it for a while versus constantly swapping second tier tech. That's out in April, if the photos are correct. March was the deadline date, but I may hold out until April if anything HTC or other vendor releases before then appears to pale in comparison to that.

Upvote 0
For those who can wait, it appears as if there will be multiple options (not just one SD phone from HTC) coming forth.

Moto Droids in their current form will be considered clunky in terms of functionality and design by the middle of next year.

Am very impressed with the Sense UI and want a something a little more than the pure Google experience.

That Bravo looks pretty sweet. That's supposedly HTC's flagship, correct? Usually I try to buy the best that I can afford at the time of purchase and hold onto it for a while versus constantly swapping second tier tech. That's out in April, if the photos are correct. March was the deadline date, but I may hold out until April if anything HTC or other vendor releases before then appears to pale in comparison to that.

The Bravo would be the flagship for Tmobile. The dude who leaked all that did a lot of huffing but he only released Tmobile information.

Upvote 0
The Bravo/Passion/Dragon is slated to be released in April 2010 with a 3.7" OLED screen. The reason for the delay is likely that HTC is having a problem mating Sense UI with 2.x. This was the initial reason for the troubles HTC was having. It's not an easy port from 1.6. That being said, a 3.7" screen will likely spare developers from having to revise and update their apps to handle another screen size. Even though 2.x allows for different screen sizes and resolutions, it's likely that a 3.7" screen will spare any potential hiccups with applications.

Upvote 0
The Bravo/Passion/Dragon is slated to be released in April 2010 with a 3.7" OLED screen. The reason for the delay is likely that HTC is having a problem mating Sense UI with 2.x. This was the initial reason for the troubles HTC was having. It's not an easy port from 1.6. That being said, a 3.7" screen will likely spare developers from having to revise and update their apps to handle another screen size. Even though 2.x allows for different screen sizes and resolutions, it's likely that a 3.7" screen will spare any potential hiccups with applications.

Bravo is not the Passion. The release dates from the HTC brochure are for Euro phones. Not applicable here.

Upvote 0

The Bravo will launch for Tmobile in April. That does not mean the Passion or Dragon will not launch earlier.
Also Q1 OS upgrade for Eris to 2.0 along with the leaked 2.1 rom on Hero means Sense and Android 2 are not the problem.

Upvote 0
Well my eligibility for NE2 is in February, so I'm going to hold tight. So much information released from that roadmap, but nothing that is conclusive for us Passionites waiting for it to drop on Verizon.

Still, if this comes to be with a 3.7" OLED, I'll be a very happy camper. Although, like many here, having the HD2 running Android on Verizon would be drool worthy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones