1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General HTC M8 update misery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Run, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Run

Run Lurker
    None

Nov 10, 2014
    Hello everyone, I'll try and keep this short.

I purchased my HTC M8 and 29 days after I bought it it requested a software update. Didn't bat an eyelid and clicked ok. It was on charge at the time and I left it to update. But it hung on the bright HTC start screen and NOTHING would budge it. The boot screen with the various options, including the recovery, factory reset options etc failed. I was 1 day over the 28 day warranty so the massive high street mobile chain store I had been with for years were totally uninterested. After 45 minutes of calls and on my third helpline number (they didn't even give me the right number to call) I eventually had my phone sent off and 2 weeks later it returned. I lost all data and info of course - not that I had anything important - but it was the inconvenience because the micro-sim card wouldn't fit into my old phone.

But hey it was fixed.

Then the other night the phoned requested an update while on charge. I thought no chance, I don't care, forget it I refuse!! But you can't do that with these things and it persisted asking me how many hours until I wanted to do it and then left an annoying update flag on my home bar. So I thought ok. A few minutes later as dreaded...oh...no...NOOOOO!!!

How can this be?! I don't install dodgy apps or muck around - I must be the most boring HTC user ever - I barely have anything on there at all! Before I contact them for another send off is there anything anyone can suggest? I don't even know if it is an android problem or an HTC problem.

Advertisement

2. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    I have noticed with the last 2 updates I have received on my VZW One M8 that these updates take a bit longer than what I was used to. The first update, 4.4.2 to 4.4.3, took about 20 minutes total and rebooted like 3 times iirc. The second update, 4.4.3 to 4.4.4, which was considerably smaller, took about 10 minutes or so and rebooted twice.

Are you giving it enough time to fully update and everything? You cannot and must not touch the power button or let the battery die during an update.

Also, it would be helpful to know your carrier so we can help diagnose what the issue may be.

Kratos

3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I agree with kratos' post. The updates do take quite a bit of time. Most members don't experience problems updating. More information would be beneficial.
    I do want to extend a welcome to AF and the M8 area. I hope we can figure out why you are struggling to successfully update your phone and that you use these forums and it's friendly/knowledgeable members to get the most fun from your M8.

4. Run

Run Lurker
    None

Nov 10, 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys. It did what you would expect - progress bar and then rebooted and came up with a screen showing a red exclamation mark in a phone and then eventually rebooted and froze on the screen. I don't know how long I gave it, not impossible I didn't leave it long enough, but I don't think that was the cause. Anyway the courier picks it up again tomorrow for round 2 of repairs.

I'm in the UK and my phone operator is called three

5. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    Is you M8 "branded" by three? For example, Verizon Wireless modifies the Android ROM after HTC modifies it and puts their logo and info into it. They then inject their own apps into the system file storage to try and get users to use their apps instead of other apps.

When carriers modify the ROM after the OEM, there is yet even more room for error.

Any idea if there are others with your carrier and the M8 reporting these issues as well? It almost sounds like it is a bad ROM.

One other though I have is that it may be a bad download as well. When downloading, are you using 4G or WiFi? And then which ever you are using, what is the connection quality?

Kratos

6. Run

Run Lurker
    None

Nov 10, 2014
    Yes it is branded and they do have their own stuff on there. I was using my house wifi and the connection is good.

Its away in the post anyway - I am just trying to decide now whether I sell it on and buy a different phone or whether I keep it for one last shot at behaving properly.

7. KC13

KC13 Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2011
    Male
    Don't ask, it sucks
    Ottawa
    I have updated my M8 twice in the last two weeks. From 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 then from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4. The first update was very smooth. The second update almost looked like it was frozen at one point, but I resisted the urge to reboot it and it eventually finished the update.

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.
Tags: