• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc made a BIG mistake...Sent me a nexus one!!!

Yes, you definitely did the right thing.

But then again, Google is richer than God himself!

I guess I don't have sympathy for rich corporations even if it's the 'right' thing to do.

You have to ask yourself: Who am I hurting by not returning this? Certainly not Larry Page's bank account.

They probably would have blacklisted the phone if you didn't send it back though so no point. You would feel like you had a weight on your shoulders if you kept it too.

You're hurting yourself.

Upvote 0
I agree

Even though HTC wouldn't feel bad if they screwed you in anyway...dosen't mean you should have.

You've restored my faith in the human race

I wouldn't go that far:) More like re-affirmed that there are still a few that manage to set themselves above the many.

I would have been more of a middle ground from most people. Like the OP I would have waited for them to contact me, then I would have tried to reach an agreement to keep it or receive some other lesser compensation. If we reached an agreement, or if they continued to simply insist upon me returning the phone ( as well as them entirely paying for it's return since it was their error to begin with ) I would have gladly sent it back.

I believe in doing good, but not so much in Karma. I find that "No good deed goes unpunished" tends to balance out "What goes around comes around" and "Nice guys finish last." I would do what is right, while attempting to seek what ever the other party is willing to give.

<shrug> I'm neither saint nor sinner. I am human.

Upvote 0
The phone would be blacklisted so no use in it. Would be pretty sick to ebay a blacklisted phone. That would catchup quick.

I would only return it if they gave me their fedex account number though. Would not invest a dime into returning it other than gas to get to the fedex dropoff - but that would be on my way to somewhere I needed to go so it wouldn't really even be gas money.

Wrong, its GSM. All GSM phones have sim cards. They can't be blacklisted like cdma.

Upvote 0
i would have rooted it and tried 2.2 before sending it back. but of course we'd need a battery for that, and you said it didn't come with a battery. i would have sent it back though. it's of no use to me.
Why root it? 2.2 is already available for the N1.

I would've sent it back since these phones are trackable since every phone is unique, and it's the right thing to do.

Upvote 0
eVGA did that to me a few years ago with an 8800GTS (They actually sent me 3, instead of one replacement.) Called them, they told me to keep them, at the time they had just released and were 400+$ video cards, sold the other 2 online for 250 a piece. Yeah, I may be a bad person for it, but what else was I going to do with them? eVGA didn't want them back.

Reactions: leebsammy
Upvote 0
Up until about 3 years ago I would have kept it and either hooked it up or sold it . But now I dont know what happened but I'm all about Karma, and ever since my life has gotten better and better. So I stick with it , good example . A few months ago me and some buddies went out to the bar broght back a group of girls to my place and partied the night , after everyone left and I went to sleep I woke up later that day and found a purse under my couch . I grabbed it and started looking for a contact in it was many credit cards over $500 in cash, an Ipod, Iphone and what looked like a very expensive watch.
I grabbed the Iphone pluged it in and was able to call a girl who was in the call log a lot and they came and got it that night .

Neadless to say they were very gratefull and I never thought twice about not keeping any of it. Just the satisfaction was enough.

Let me ask you this quesiton "if you lost your phone wouldn't you want someone to return it to you??"
and dont give me the "ohh it's a huge company they won't care" while that's somewhat true the cost of that phone comes out of someones pocket somewhere nomatter how deep the pocket is

ill assume they "payed" you back though.... maybe the good kinda 3 way.....

Upvote 0
eVGA did that to me a few years ago with an 8800GTS (They actually sent me 3, instead of one replacement.) Called them, they told me to keep them, at the time they had just released and were 400+$ video cards, sold the other 2 online for 250 a piece. Yeah, I may be a bad person for it, but what else was I going to do with them? eVGA didn't want them back.

i take it you have not heard of SLI? you coulda been in frame rate heaven....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones