• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root htc magic reverting back to 1.5 from 2.1

disaster999

Jul 29, 2009
i have a htc magic which i rooted and installed the 2.1 rom. played around for a few weeks and i miss the features i had before and it was making my phone really sluggish. i tried just flashing the factory ROM, Version 3.03.990.6, back into my phone. i ran the program on the computer, followed everything and waiting. half way through the process it tells me theres an error and cant continue. it whipped out my OS and i had to put 2.1 back on my phone. how can i revert back to 1.5? how can i revert it back to factory settings?

I'm intrigued to know which 1.5 features you missed on 2.1? I have found each new version of android only adds new features I am yet to lose any features each time I upgraded going 1.5->1.6->2.0->2.1.

In addition I've found that 2.1 is by far the smoothest and fastest version of Android I've put on to my Magic.

With regards to your 'downgrade' problems, which method are you using to apply the ROM? and are you absolutely positive you have the correct 1.5 ROM?

Upvote 0
A little background about me and the phone. I am from Hong kong and bought the magic with the base 1.5 rom. I upgraded to 1.5 with HTC sense from HTC and really like the layout and features. But since rooting the phone and installing the CM 5.0.7 android 2.1 rom On the phone it's been really slow and laggy. Just typing this reply on the phone makes me to throw it against the wall. I can't turn off the 3G signal if I want to. The dailer has no quick search if I key in part of name or number. I can't type or hand write Chinese. Navigation doesn't work here. Live wall paper doesn't work, but I rather it doesn't or my hone is going to be slow as hell. On top of all that, the phone drains battery.

Sure the rom I mentioned is correct. I got it directly from htc's website. I just opened the program and followed the instructions on the screen and hoped for the best...which didn't work. So any help is appreciated

Upvote 0
A little background about me and the phone. I am from Hong kong and bought the magic with the base 1.5 rom. I upgraded to 1.5 with HTC sense from HTC and really like the layout and features. But since rooting the phone and installing the CM 5.0.7 android 2.1 rom On the phone it's been really slow and laggy. Just typing this reply on the phone makes me to throw it against the wall. I can't turn off the 3G signal if I want to. The dailer has no quick search if I key in part of name or number. I can't type or hand write Chinese. Navigation doesn't work here. Live wall paper doesn't work, but I rather it doesn't or my hone is going to be slow as hell. On top of all that, the phone drains battery.

Sure the rom I mentioned is correct. I got it directly from htc's website. I just opened the program and followed the instructions on the screen and hoped for the best...which didn't work. So any help is appreciated

Update to the latest CM 5.0.8 Test 4, it's faster than 5.0.7. You should find it more responsive. you can download "quick settings" app from the market to turn off data. For searching quickly you could try "gesture search" from the market, it will search contacts and apps. For navigation search XDA-Developers.com forum for Brut maps, it's a hacked version of google maps that has turn-by-turn navigation enabled for just about everywhere. Live wallpapers do work for the simpler ones, but you wouldn't have that on 1.5 anyway. Battery drain issue has been fixed, and if you still have problems you may need to wipe your battery stats. If you search around you should be able to find a copy of the HTC keyboard that comes with sense and install it on your Magic, I have it on mine but I don't use it as I'm using swype.

Let me know if you have any problems finding any of these apps.

If you visit the forum over at CyanogenMod.com the guys over there should be able to assist you with whatever problems you're having with the mod.

Upvote 0
thanks for the tips, i will have to give that a try

i was searching the web for how to revert back to 1.5, well unlockr has a write up about it..so i followed tried the sapping.nhb (sp) method just to find out that it puts mytouch3g rom onto my phone. it was not what i wanted nor was i aware that it puts that on my phone. i wouldnt even bother reverting it back if i knew it was mytouch3g rom.

i contemplated about calling HTC and have them flash my phone back to factory at cost...but i guess ill give 5.0.8 a try before i do anything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones