• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Magic/Rogers Donut update?

Just wondering if anyone using Rogers and a non-rooted phone has updated to Donut. Am curious how their update process went as I'm pretty nervous about doing it as everywhere I read says it remove contacts etc, and we need to do it manually.

best thing to do if your nervous about loosing your contacts is to sync with gmail, calander etc... (it shouldnt kill them but for saftey) turn off the sync for all areas do the update then re sync and all should be golden...

Upvote 0
yea, that should not be a donut. rogers is not that fast at updating.

From what I've read and heard the donut update that is happening in the U.S is over the air so your phone will let you know of the donut upgrade whenever it decides to hit north of the border. Yes I am a Rogers Magic user and remember we probably won't see that update for abit. Rogers will allow us the update whenever they feel like it. And Rogers needs to keep up with the Android phones. LoL :D

Upvote 0
I just called Rogers tech support and the guy I spoke to referred to that same file on their website Redirect to the right page but it isn't donut. I told him that in the states and in the UK it will be pushed to the phone and asked if Rogers would be doing the same. He just kept parroting that there is a file on that site and that is all that Rogers will support... so helpful :(

If anyone on Rogers gets donut OTA please let the rest of us know!

Upvote 0
Just spoke to Rogers tech support, and was told the only info they have right now is that is _should_ be coming out somewhere near the end of Oct or beginning of Nov. They also said that they didn't know yet if it would be OTA or a download.

But this is Rogers we're talking about here, so take it all with a grain of salt. ;-)

Ahhhhhh just another hopeful remark from a random Rogers Tech person who thinks they know when it actually is gonna be available for us Rogers users. But if its true then I just put a foot in my mouth. Ahhhhhh!:eek:

Upvote 0
I still haven't heard or seen anything about 1.6 from Rogers so hopefully in the next few weeks we'll hear something. I'd prefer on OTA update but will be happy with whatever :)

Sorry to ask this simple question but I am new to this. I bought an unlocked Magic in Vancouver. It is from Rogers. I live in south China and use it with China Unicom here. It works well. I use EDGE for my data as I do not need 3G.

How do I update the operating system to 1.6 or 2? I have seen postings that explain how to do it by connecting the phone to the computer. I am not tech savy and this is beyond me. As it is unlocked and I am not on an authorized data plan will I still get a auto wireless download? Thanks

Upvote 0
Its terrible Rogers is being a real pain I have the magic I checked the internet and saw the update , was told to go to the htc website and download the Rom so I did Iturns out it was 1.5 which my phone already had so now I check the internet every night to see if there is any news on the update. I know I'm ranting but you think for the money we paid for these phones they would stay on top of this stuff am I right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones