1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support HTC Magic Wifi problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wonkizzle, Feb 2, 2010.

1. wonkizzle

wonkizzle Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Ok guys, I hope this is an easy fix.. but lets see here.. Where to begin...

I bought a used unlocked Vodafone HTC Magic off of ebay, and got it setup with my Local GSM just fine. I can make calls, and receive texts no problem. Since I dont want a Data plan, I plan on relying on wifi for gmail services and whatnot. My problem is this. I cant get on wifi. When I go to settings>wireless controls> Wifi at the top says "Unable to start Wi-Fi" And no matter how many times I click it, it just wont start. When I go into Wi-Fi settings, "Add Wi-Fi network" is greyed out, and I cant add one. When I press the menu button while in that menu and select "Scan" It doesnt do anything, just goes away.

Any ideas guys? I really want to get this phone working to its full potential.
    EDIT:: I also dont have any APN settings.. I thought it was only for data plans, and the phone works just fine without them except the wifi... Could that be it?

I dont know if it has anything to do with my location because Vodafone is overseas right? Im in USA.. But the guy shipped from NJ.. And said it was working fine for him...

Advertisement

2. wonkizzle

wonkizzle Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Bump, anyone? Im so frustrated that my Wifi wont turn on. Do I need to set up apn settings? Factory reset didn't change anything, I even updated to latest cyanogen mod.... Help help help!

3. wonkizzle

wonkizzle Member

Feb 2, 2010
    One last bump before I give up...

4. draymon

draymon Member

Jan 26, 2010
    maybe u need a data plan??

5. wonkizzle

wonkizzle Member

Feb 2, 2010
    A data plan just to use Wifi? I thought I could use wifi without needing a data plan... Can someone verify this please?

6. Knutfreddy

Knutfreddy Active Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Wi-Fi does not need a data plan or any APN settings. Have you tried running it in safe mode to see what happens then?

7. wonkizzle

wonkizzle Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I did, had the same problem. I just returned it and called it defective. I tried everything. Thanks for the help guys.

8. ZEUS

ZEUS Member

Feb 12, 2010
    How do you make Wifi on the HTC Magic work, other than making sure it connects to a network?

9. coololdrocker

coololdrocker Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Ontario Canada
    you can take your sim card out and still use wifi so no you don't need a data plan.

10. Maxxy

Maxxy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    I have this issue with not being able to start wifi on my Magic from time to time. In my case it takes a reboot to get it fixed. I'm assuming you've tried to reboot yours, right? I guess the next step would be to try a factory reset.

Tags: