• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Magic: Wifi + Windows ICS not working.

asdthe1

Lurker
Jun 29, 2009
Hi, I have a weird issue with Wifi and Internet Connection Sharing. Before I get into the details let me cover the necessaries.

Firmware: 1.5
Baseband: 62.52S.20.18U_3.22.20.17
Kernel: 2.6.27-dd63d1eb

Im based in South Africa, and my service provider is Vodacom (subsidiary of vodafone) but I have the unbranded HTC Magic with no google logo and no other logos but the HTC logo.

My problem is: When connecting to a Wifi Access Point that is connected to a machine running windows Internet Connection Sharing the default browser, youtube app, market place and any other system app cannot connect to the internet. Strangely Gtalk and Gmail work fine and Opera mini also has no issues.

I have installed FTPserver on the phone and transferred large files to test the wifi radio on the phone and so far it hasnt failed with a single transfer. The issue seems to be with Andoid + MS ICS. Another weird thing is that it works sometimes if I access a local (South African) site via the browser but has never worked for an international site nor has it ever worked for the youtube or market app, this leads me to believe that it is a DNS or network timeout error. On 3G/HSDPA there are no issues. There are also no issues with APs connected to the internet via PPPoE rather ICS.

So to sum up. Wifi -> AP ->ICS machine: youtube, market and browser have no internet but Gtalk, Gmail and Opera do.

Are there known issues with Microsoft ICS and Android? My iPhone and all other smart phones had no issues with this setup.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones