• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

DigitalGuru

Mar 15, 2010
MI
I'm having the same issue as listed below from a post on Android Central. Thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had this as well. I've edited the post to reflect my issues. Link to original thread: HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low") - Android Central Forums

"I have reason to believe that HTC Mail has a significant memory leak or bug which is causing all of the "Phone storage is getting low" messages. I've had the phone for 3 weeks as of this Thursday. My setup is 2 POP3 email accounts configured during the initial setup in HTC Mail.

At around 110-115 megs it triggers the "phone storage low" message. The problem is that as far as i can tell, there's no way to reduce the file size of this HTC mail app once this process has started. I've deleted every shred of email, all In-boxes, all sent, all trash all everything from every mail folder for every account - no reduction in app size. I trashed every shred of email from the system, and the HTC mail app still hovered around 110megs (and the phone storage low indicators continuing). after researching the issue online and piecing 2+2 together i realized that the only solution is to wipe the phone. the issue there is that there are no guarantees that the issue wouldn't resurface again (actually it's quite likely).

Bottom line: HTC mail seems to have a very significant memory leak or bug that causes it to blow through its allocated memory at an alarming pace, and there is very little that can be done to stop it once it's started. I would strongly recommend to those of you with the above issues to NOT use HTC mail after wiping the phone..."

Any ideas? Anyone have this issue as well? Please help!

Just to update this on my own experience.

Two accounts, 1 IMAP, 1 Hotmail
1MB Mail size limit
15 minute sync frequency
Download 3 days for Hotmail, 30 days for IMAP
SD card for Temporary attachment files
11 days until HTC Mail got up to 110MB. Did a factory reset.

Still two accounts (IMAP and Hotmail)
100KB Mail size limit
15 minute sync frequency
3 days download for both accounts
SD card for Temporary attachment files
Been 4 days and my HTC Mail went from 1.93MB on day 1 to 2.03MB today

Is it the way HTC Mail downloads large files? I'm not complaining about my HTC Mail performance, but this seems odd that my days to keep the mail and the size is the actual cause/solution to this bug.

Upvote 0
I finally got a response from HTC product support. They want me to reactivate the HTC mail widget. I switched my 2 POP3 accounts to have Gmail check them. I'm not really excited about reactivating the widget if its going to do the same thing and then have to factory reset my phone again. Hopefully they'll figure it out and post an update soon.

Upvote 0
I just got the same Low Storage notification and I can assure you that it's not HTC mail since I have never used it on my phone. I've had this phone since the day it came out and last night was the first time I experienced this. Let's hope HTC/Verizon figures this out soon... I do not want to hard reset my phone. Perhaps it'll get fixed with Froyo...

Upvote 0
I finally got a response from HTC product support. They want me to reactivate the HTC mail widget. I switched my 2 POP3 accounts to have Gmail check them. I'm not really excited about reactivating the widget if its going to do the same thing and then have to factory reset my phone again. Hopefully they'll figure it out and post an update soon.

Funny thing is I got the Phone Storage Low indicator about 6 weeks after I got the phone (actually got it the day before release) and I have never used the mail widget.

I just got the same Low Storage notification and I can assure you that it's not HTC mail since I have never used it on my phone. I've had this phone since the day it came out and last night was the first time I experienced this. Let's hope HTC/Verizon figures this out soon... I do not want to hard reset my phone. Perhaps it'll get fixed with Froyo...

I agree that it may not be HTC mail. I had to do a hard reset about 2 months ago and although I am watching my HTC mail I never see it get much past 10MBs and clearing the cache and current sent and trash folders brings it back down to around 7MBs. I only have one email account and set it for 3 days download.

I think it was another app I had didn't play nice with the phone. Hopefully I do not get that notification again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones