• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc messaging widget error when attempting removal

kristi-lynn

Nov 26, 2009
Hopefully someone can help!

I just set the HTC messaging widget (just the standard guy) to one of my home screens and decided it was not worth having but when I try to remove it (just holding down on it) I get this error message...

Sorry!
The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force Close

I have no idea how to get rid of this stupid widget if not long holding on it, but I just keep getting this error and then all the home screens have to reload.

Any suggestions? :thinking:

Thanks,
k-l

I'd recommend MyBackup app to back everything up. The app backs up everything onto your SD card, and you can re run it after the reset and load everything back on your device.

(Use teh app barcode scanner to scan this, will take you to the app)
chart

Upvote 0
Your Sence, has crashed, you need to do a factory reset, to fix the phone, go to menu, settings, and security,factory reset, that will fix it fine,:)

Careful now.... that could suggest that everytime an app crashes the user has to factory-reset their handset. :eek:

@kristi-lynn:
First step is to try a simple restart.

If that doesn't work (as it hasn't in this case) next switch off and remove the battery for say an hour. Then replace it and switch back on - sometimes that's enough to clear things up.

If the problem persists, go to Menu-Settings-Applications-Manage applications, select Messages widget and click on Clear data.

If still no joy, try doing the same to HTC Sense. This may reset your home screens but at least won't result in data loss.

The final, if-all-else-fails resort, is the factory reset. This will wipe your internal memory and return the handset to the out-of-the-box condition, so ensure you've backed up contacts etc before doing it. Data on your memory card will be unaffected.

Upvote 0
If the problem persists, go to Menu-Settings-Applications-Manage applications, select Messages widget and click on Clear data.

If still no joy, try doing the same to HTC Sense. This may reset your home screens but at least won't result in data loss.

This is more what I was hoping existed. Just a way to kill the widget without the standard remove. I'm gonna try these out now.

Unfortunately, the first one, there apparently ISN'T any data in that application, and therefore the "clear data" boxes are grayed out, including the "force stop".

Onto the next option... YAY! Put me back to standard home screens, but that I can fix. At least the messaging widget is gone! Thanks for the spot on advice. I was hoping there was a... less intrusive... way of doing that. Wish I could have cleared the data for the messaging widget, but I guess that was part of the problem too. Phew!

Thanks everyone! Now to put my home screens back in order...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones