• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ONE battery discussion (usage, charging, etc.)

Charge when shut down, fine. But why run it flat? That's not good for battery longevity.

The theory behind this process is that by running it flat and recharging until full (while off) it forces to sync the battery level values and it's battery cycle values when the phone powers on and detects the full charged state.

Yes your right about running the phone flat, but this is one way of making sure that the phone detects a full charge cycle has been completed IMO, but if you don't feel comfortable allow it to run under 10% and then turn off and charge until full, that should result I'm a full cycle as well.

Upvote 0
The myth about battery calibration -

https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Your phone does not trickle charge.

It runs off of the battery at all times.

Even while on the charger.

When the battery hits full charge, it shows 99 to 100%, stops charging, and runs until it hits the set point established by HTC - these days, typically about 96%.

Then charging kicks back on and the cycle repeats itself. Over and over until you take it off of the charger.

And it shows 99 to 100% the whole time.

After you take it off of the charger, over the course of several minutes, it adjusts the user display until a more accurate reading is available.

Your phone doesn't lose 5% in minutes - it didn't have it when you took it off of the charger.

People used to post videos of a current meter showing the cycle with the screen display being constant. I haven't seen one lately, but that's the way it works.

It's due to the nature of the safety circuit involved in charging.

Do not run your phone dry unless you need to as a normal matter of use - it degrades the battery.

And to help you, your HTC will shut down before you truly hit 0% anyway.

If power consumption is different after an update, then it's likely services have changed or an app is less than optimal with the new version.

To find out, I recommend GSam Battery Monitor.

Getting a clean slate after an update is always the right idea.

It's easy if you're rooted - wipe cache and Dalvik.

If not rooted, I suggest Helium Backup, then a factory data reset (do not erase your internal storage, just reset) and then restore from the backup.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm on a custom rom so I have to go by memory for stock - try holding power and then quickly tapping home.

Take screenshots of everything interesting.

The title on the usage page, get to it with a tap on the Hoover button - that's a drop down menu. Look at times, percentages and wakelocks.

Screen has a > button, tap that for time and details.

Reactions: gabbyevs
Upvote 0
1453294_10151697617736059_2146976493_n.jpg

i dont know why it says average 1 day 16 ive only used it once

1462904_10151697650591059_1218329809_n.jpg

Upvote 0
I keep GSam Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector installed in case I need to track down the source of a problem, but don't run one of those "battery savers". I don't even use the powersave mode (main effect I saw the day I tried it was that it capped the screen brightness lower than I needed for outdoor use in the Summer).

Upvote 0
I've had my HTC one for about 5 months. I love the phone However, I feel my battery life is very poor.. I will get about 4 hours screen time max on heavy usage. Also, my phone takes a very long time to charge, especially if I use the phone while using it on charge, sometimes it will only go up 1% every 10 mins. When I use Skype while the phone is charging it will not even go up 1%. Does anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0
i dont know why it says average 1 day 16 ive only used it once

That's a predictive thing that gets more accurate as you go along.

Let's see what else is happening.

Please run normally, some time with screen on, some off, let's go for, say, 4 hours or so.

Then let's see how much is going on with the screen off.

See my sample picture attached, ignore how it looks, but just to see what we need. Notice that you can get a better view in landscape.

View attachment 64125

Please give another of the same showing your phone signal at that same time.

Also check out "Android Forums"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.androidforumscom

Makes posting screen shots super easy, it's what I use. Look for the camera icon to get to your gallery. :)

I've had my HTC one for about 5 months. I love the phone However, I feel my battery life is very poor.. I will get about 4 hours screen time max on heavy usage. Also, my phone takes a very long time to charge, especially if I use the phone while using it on charge, sometimes it will only go up 1% every 10 mins. When I use Skype while the phone is charging it will not even go up 1%. Does anyone else have this problem?

Please see one of my very recent posts about how we're always running on battery even when charging.

Maybe check out GSam, let us know what else looks funny.

Truthfully though, I've used Skype for years.

On Android, the performance goes up and down a lot, seems like you can't tell from update to update what to expect. Especially with battery consumption.

If your main usage is texting, check out "imo free video calls and text"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imo.android.imoim

As shown in the attached picture, you can monitor all sorts of accounts and it's REALLY power efficient.

1384215046152.jpg

I still use Skype but only when I need to make a call or something with it. Otherwise I save power and just keep it off.

I run imo all of the time, no problem.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I've had my HTC one for about 5 months. I love the phone However, I feel my battery life is very poor.. I will get about 4 hours screen time max on heavy usage.
"On heavy usage" is key here, because this depends a lot on what you are doing. From my experience with this phone I'd expect about 4 hours gaming, 7-8 hours browsing tapatalk via WiFi, or 11-12 hours ebook reading (I once used it as a reader on a long stop-over and reached 5.5 hours screen on with 55% left - screen brightness adjusted for indoor conditions). Of course standby, cell-swapping etc all take a toll too. At this moment I'm at 39% with 2 hours 7 mins screen on, but the phone has been on continuously for 48 hours (unusually light usage for me). So depending on what your heavy use consists of, and what else you have going on apart from the screen, that may be quite reasonable.

Upvote 0
I'm new to this and not sure how to post screen shots, sorry. But I have gsam, battery usage is 19% in 1 hour 40 mins with one hour ten minutes screen time. I'm currently at 81%. 40% of battery is consumed byinternet, 19.8% battery consumed by kernel, 12.4% android system and only 7.0% by whatsapp surprisingly, seeing as I've been using whatsapp the most..

"On heavy usage" is key here, because this depends a lot on what you are doing. From my experience with this phone I'd expect about 4 hours gaming, 7-8 hours browsing tapatalk via WiFi, or 11-12 hours ebook reading (I once used it as a reader on a long stop-over and reached 5.5 hours screen on with 55% left - screen brightness adjusted for indoor conditions). Of course standby, cell-swapping etc all take a toll too. At this moment I'm at 39% with 2 hours 7 mins screen on, but the phone has been on continuously for 48 hours (unusually light usage for me). So depending on what your heavy use consists of, and what else you have going on apart from the screen, that may be quite reasonable.

I'm new to this and not sure how to post screen shots, sorry. But I have gsam, battery usage is 19% in 1 hour 40 mins with one hour ten minutes screen time. I'm currently at 81%. 40% of battery is consumed byinternet, 19.8% battery consumed by kernel, 12.4% android system and only 7.0% by whatsapp surprisingly, seeing as I've been using whatsapp the most.

Upvote 0

Ok the good news is that it doesn't appear that you have something in the background keeping your phone awake when the screen is off.

You might want to check the phone signal graph to see if it's fluctuating a lot. Also, Wifi Analyzer can tell you if you're on a network with channel conflicts, that's not the best thing.

If you're running a live wallpaper, that's not your battery's friend.

@samakhan - please look up a few posts, I have instructions and a link for posting screen shots. :)

Upvote 0
thanks again which one is the phone signal graph?

ive still got a feeling its an app not that ive downloaded anythingodd lately but i just cant think why its draining faster than normal

oh and i dont have a live wallpaper i''ll download wifi analyser although been with the same provider for years

1384367611569.jpg

Your wifi channel is controlled by your router.

It's supposed to pick a clean channel but mine never does.

I look at Wifi Analyzer, see what's really open, and set it myself.

Most routers have a web interface that begins with http://192.168 so you can do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones