1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC One M7 turned off showing 0% battery after 10hrs charging

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Android Question

Hi my 3 year old htc one m7 died while i was using some app
    It was full of data and i was also not able to connect it to my laptop. I dnt want to loose my data
    When i connect it to power through wall chger red light shows up bt battery just remain 0% when i press power button it starts up but just before welcome screen it goes logoff again and again start to charge with red light and show
    0% battery

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

Try another battery. If it's on the original it may be kaput

3. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

If the battery charge has gone to zero as you indicated, it may be worth connecting the charger and leaving it for an extended period (with the phone switched off). The battery charging can take a while to kick in from a 'dead' condition - worth a try before going to the trouble of replacing an M7 battery.

Incidentally, my M7 is still going strong after almost 3 years on the original battery.

Edit - Sorry, missed the 10 hours in your post heading - forget the above if that is the case :(.

#3 tommo47, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The thread title says 10 hours charge, which is a bad sign. But if it won't power up then I can't suggest anything other than an extended charge and hope for the best. The battery on the M7 is not user replaceable (at least not unless you are very brave), and an official repair (battery replacement) carries the risk of it coming back with the data wiped.

The one positive is that the charge light comes on: if it didn't you would either have a broken charger port or a motherboard failure (and a charge port failure is unlikely to cause a sudden shutdown). But if it is the same after 10 hours that looks bad: the phone always runs on battery, and all the charger does is charge it, so if the battery is dead you cannot run it from the charger alone. Hence "total battery failure" would fit th symptoms well.

(I'm also using a 3 year old M7 to type this).

5. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Hi again, just picked this up after a google trawl - may be worth a try :-

"Charge your phone to the wall charger again for at least 1 hour just to give your battery a kick.
    Press the Volume Down button and press the Power button together for as long as you can. Some says for 10 seconds but for me it was longer than that.
    If you’re lucky you phone will turn on and give you some options. You can choose Fast boot by using Volume Up/Down button to choose between options and use the Power button to select.
    And yeh! Your phone will reboot. Never ever let your battery die again."

There are also various comments about holding the Volume down/Power combination for as long as 5 minutes :eek:.

6. James L

James L Android Expert

Sounds funny but it works in most cases. Plug the phone hold it under a bright light and hold volume up and power or maybe it was volume up, volume down and power. Can't remember the exact buttons but one of the combinations should do the trick. It's been quite awhile since i have used this trick..

It has fixed a handful of customers phones though.

Hadron likes this.
  7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

On some M7's the "long press power to force restart" is inhibited if the light sensor reports that it's dark (pocket detection). So yes, worth a go.

Why only some I don't know - on my phone I can completely cover the sensor and it still works, but I've seen enough people report it to be sure it's a real thing.