• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One M8 and M9 screen differences?!

D

Deleted User

I'm trying out an M9 to replace my M8 and the screen looks way better but GSMArena says they're exactly the same screen (Super LCD3). HTC doesn't specify.

I know I have the correct screens for each and they're functioning fine because they look as I remember them in the store (M8 not looking as good as the M9).

What are they actually?

The GPU runs the screen. Your GPU determines the brightness and DPI (Dot per inch) on your screen. The more DPI the better it looks.

The GPU runs the screen, but the GPU is not the screen hardware and has nothing to do with the type of screen... iPhone uses IPS LCD, the M8 uses "Super LCD3", the Galaxy S5 uses Super AMOLED. Those screen technologies can use the same or different GPUs.

Also, the M8 and M9 have the exact same screen size and resolution, meaning they have the exact same DPI, which only determines how pixelated or crisp your screen looks.

Here's why I asked my question: The M9's screen looks a lot better than the M8's, in that the colors look more accurate, while the M8 has some ghosting while scrolling and a grayish tint to it, and when I look up what kind of screens they are, all I can find is this "Super LCD3" crap from GSMArena whereas HTC doesn't even specify and I haven't seen anything that specifies further even though they're obviously different (I showed them to several people and they immediately noticed the differences).

M8 http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_(m8)-6074.ph Adreno 330 GPU
M9 http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-6891.php Adreno 430 GPU
S5 http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php Adreno 330 GPU

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Super LCD is a classification, a type of technology, not one specific display panel from one single company.
Just like how you can have multiple displays from a number of different companies used in a number of different products that is categorized as an IPS (In-Plane Switching) display - its not an Apple thing

In HTC's case, the displays are sourced from a conglomerate of suppliers. Sometimes certain display panels have been associated with where the phone was assembled (which country, which factory). It is cheaper, quicker, and easier to get displays from a handful of suppliers than to only get them from one supplier. In the past, relative distance between the supplier site and which HTC assembly factory built the device might've been a driving factor. (This is an oversimplification and not a rule, example; Japanese S-LCD 3 displays (JDI) are assembled into phones from the HTC factory in Taiwan since they are relatively nearby eachother on the map, etc.)

Each supplier fulfills the standard for the S-LCD 3 categorization, but there might be very slight differences between each.

(I'm a glutton for punishment) This ^ has been a LONG standing gripe of mine regarding HTC. The display panels from different suppliers are different and need to be calibrated separately, whereas they probably give them all the same calibration with their software implementation that is a one size fits all?

Thus, you can have 2 x M8's sitting next to eachother displaying the same system provided background image appearing very different from eachother. (screens from 2 different suppliers) htt ps://ww w.youtu be.com/watch?v= 0osrpESuFkQ
For updated M9's and the M10, within the display settings menu, HTC added a tool into Sense that lets you pick a preset color output (a trick they tried to borrow from the AMOLED world), but I don't think it goes far enough in addressing the issues.

There is also a school of thought out there that thinks the optical glue that joins the LCD+digitizer and glass has been an issue. Differing batches of glue with differing optical properties, that can even change over time? As it continues to dry, or set up, the screen color representation can improve.?(M9)

All that being said, maybe you did not have a very good/accurate color M8 to begin with and so your M9 looks worlds better? They are both Super LCD 3. But I think the M9 screen shipped with a slightly better contrast ratio or color depth. M9 still fit under the S-LCD3 designation.

I still use my now de-activated M8 as an at home media device and frequently wish that my M8 display was in my M9 which I carry as my "daily driver" calls/texts/etc/. My M8 display (not perfect) is more vibrant and has slightly better color representation.

Display color representation issues along with other display quality problems go back a number of generations with HTC phones:
Evo 4G LTE - http://androidforums.com/threads/anyone-have-light-leakage.555141/#post-4507215
Evo 3D - LCD Light Bleed
One M7 - http://androidforums.com/threads/htc-one-build-quality.712236/page-3#post-5858911
One M8 - http://androidforums.com/threads/ar...cussion-and-deals.828976/page-10#post-6533358
http://androidforums.com/threads/htc-one-m8-screen-flicker.838103/#post-6518405
from ^ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2705983
http://androidforums.com/threads/htc-one-m8-screen-flicker.838103/page-2#post-6525014

There are some links out to xda that were really good. Many people were/are tracking screen difference issues in HTC devices. I might sound experienced in the issues, Hamdir is an expert - with calibration equipment.

It is a blur at this point, since it has been many years
  • I skipped the One M7 largely because of display issues and the fact that the phone only came in Silver initially. I went through 4 silver in 14 days then fully returned for refund as the 14 day limit was expiring. I think black came out later but I skipped on it since I couldn't get a good M7 initially and the M8 was releasing soon.
  • I went through 2 x One M8's (gray) and fully returned for refund because of an RF issue and the M8 Harman Kardon (blackish color gold accent) was coming out. I may have looked at 2 H/K ed. in store before settling with the one that had a brighter screen and better white representation even though some other colors were slightly shifted.
  • (I forget if I returned any M9's) I think I settled with my One M9. It started out with slightly poorer/pinkish color/white representation, but I didn't activate it right away and let it "burn in" for a week with display always on and a pure white jpg
  • I skipped the HTC 10 because it only came in Silver and has display inconsistencies.
  • Looking forward to the Google Pixel XL (rumor HTC built) reveal in a week

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
PyroSporker: The M8's I looked at in the Verizon stores and the one I received from Amazon looked the same as far as I remember, having the same slightly-grayish/silverish tint and slight ghosting, while the M9's I looked at in the Verizon stores and Amazon had the same nice accurate-looking color output without the grayish/silverish sheen or ghosting effects.

I'm here asking not because of the differences between M8 screens to M8 screens or M9 screens to M9 screens, but M9 screens to M8 screens because the differences were very noticeable to myself and others between the M8 and M9 but not between different M8 screens with each other and not between different M9 screens with each other.

The M8 not having the M9's color preset doesn't explain the M8's ghosting or grayishness or silvery sheen (the latter the most noticeable while tilting no matter what the brightness or colors on the screen are, and much like the iPod touch 4's lackluster screen), so it seems like a hardware difference, though those kinds of blemishes are typically things a lot of people don't even notice until you compare them side-by-side.

So while they may both be Super LCD3, there is something consistently distinctively different between the M8 and M9 screens, and if your description is correct, I may never know, and I'm not sure iFixit is referring to the same thing I am when they mention that the M8 has a "Synaptics S3528A touchscreen controller" and the M9 has a "Synaptics S3351B touchscreen controller"; maybe that's the difference I'm looking for, and it would be nice to swap them out if possible (or put the M8's speakers into the M9).

Upvote 0
A day after my post I remembered another detail about the M9 I forgot to throw in. It has a different polarization layer that helps with bright light readability(sun). This polarization creates slightly worse viewing angles and can cause some color shift at extreme angles (pinkish hue or rainbow-y effect)

PyroSporker: The M8's I looked at in the Verizon stores and the one I received from Amazon looked the same as far as I remember, having the same slightly-grayish/silverish tint and slight ghosting, while the M9's I looked at in the Verizon stores and Amazon had the same nice accurate-looking color output without the grayish/silverish sheen or ghosting effects.

I'm here asking not because of the differences between M8 screens to M8 screens or M9 screens to M9 screens, but M9 screens to M8 screens because the differences were very noticeable to myself and others between the M8 and M9 but not between different M8 screens with each other and not between different M9 screens with each other.

The M8 and the M9 are different that's all there is to it. Yes, they both have S-LCD 3 screens. However, they are from 2 different "generations" and likely from completely different suppliers. They were released a year apart.
Nobody ever said they had the same exact screens inside them. That was just an assumption that you had made (based upon info from review sites, could be an easy assumption to fall to).
No matter how much you want them to have the same screens they are different, while in fact they are both classified under the Super LCD 3 technology

I had to lay that groundwork to get my point across.
My entire point is that there is significant variation within the single device generation.
[unofficial speculation from the community] There are a number of "different builds" of the M8, and at least 2 distinct "builds" of the M9.
You cannot draw a single distinction about the M8 and apply it to every M8 since there are differences out there.
You cannot draw a single distinction about the M9 and apply it to every M9 since there are differences out there.
And then when you try to compare the M8 and the M9, you add in another huge layer of variability that is confusing.
Everyone's experience is going to be unique to their handset(s) they have in their hand(s).

The M8 not having the M9's color preset doesn't explain the M8's ghosting or grayishness or silvery sheen (the latter the most noticeable while tilting no matter what the brightness or colors on the screen are, and much like the iPod touch 4's lackluster screen), so it seems like a hardware difference, though those kinds of blemishes are typically things a lot of people don't even notice until you compare them side-by-side.

My M8 has a slightly brighter backlight than my M9. A brighter backlight could be a significant detail regarding this grayishness or silvery sheen you are talking about.
My M8 does not possess any ghosting or grayish/silvery sheen.

Color presets?

So while they may both be Super LCD3, there is something consistently distinctively different between the M8 and M9 screens, and if your description is correct, I may never know,

We will never know, unless we tear down your M8 and M9 side by side and find exact part numbers on the display panel that we can reference to look up white papers for.

LCD is a technology/property/classification
Super LCD (including 2 or 3) is a technology/property/classification
In-plane Switching (IPS) is a technology/property/classification

Every TV in the history of the world with an LCD screen in it, does not have the same exact screen inside it
Every Phone HTC has made in the history of the world with a Super LCD 3 screen in it, does not have the same exact screen inside it
Every computer monitor in the history of the world with an IPS LCD screen in it, does not have the same exact screen inside it

and I'm not sure iFixit is referring to the same thing I am when they mention that the M8 has a "Synaptics S3528A touchscreen controller" and the M9 has a "Synaptics S3351B touchscreen controller"; maybe that's the difference I'm looking for, and it would be nice to swap them out if possible (or put the M8's speakers into the M9).

The Synaptics chip is the brains behind what controls the touchscreen digitizer (converts your touch input data into "what happens" on the screen - action: tap icon with finger, result: open application. action: long-press image with thumb, result: open menu for edit options. Etc.)

The M9 was highly praised at release for having one of the highest touch input response times of any phone at the time. It is also very accurate. Actions happen right away and you are less likely to tap on the wrong thing on the screen. Swiping home screens left and right is smooth and instant (doesn't lag)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People hold up Apple like some infallible celebrity that can do no wrong, but even they have issues.
This came out a few weeks back, regarding the iPhone 7's yellow-y screen.
May give credence to the supposition earlier regarding the M8 and M9 having screen/glass glue or adhesive problems, that can cure over time (short term) sometimes.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/16/yellow-screen-iphone-7-fix/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PyroSporker: Yes, I know they're different; I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't noticed.

Yes, I already get your point that even the same-named technology can have different parts or configurations or manufacturers...

However, I made a point that the M8 has a "Synaptics S3528A touchscreen controller" and the M9 has a "Synaptics S3351B touchscreen controller", so I at least found one named hardware difference that tells me SOMETHING, if not enough.

The gray/ghost/sheen didn't change even when the colors/brightness changed, and I can turn the M9 brightness up to be the same as the M8 and it still doesn't have the gray/ghost/sheen issue; I'm not sure you got that.

Anyways, since there's no new concrete info here that tells me why the screens are different (consistently between M8 devices and M9 devices), I'll just have to assume HTC did something different and only they know that info.

Upvote 0
Both have LCD3 screens with density of 441ppi. If you see the difference it
probably comes from the user interfaces which are different depending on the current Android version.
HTC dual-sourced displays for many of their phones, so it wasn't uncommon for 2 samples of the same model to show visible screen differences. So it's quite possible that display differences are due to hardware rather than software.

"Super LCD 3" was just an HTC marketing term, it didn't specify a particular component.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the interchangeability question.

Reactions: lvt and BazmanFoo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones