1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support htc one m8 android update

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by la fouine, May 12, 2016.

1. la fouine

la fouine Guest
    None
    Pls help me
    Im s-off
    Viper rom 4.4.2
    Firmware 401.5
    I want to update to new android version
    I get system update but cannot update

Advertisement

2. betruk

betruk Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2015
    Have you tried to recover back to factory settings and run the update again? It works for me.

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You have a custom recovery, which means that you cannot install an official update. What surprises me is that you get a notification: you shouldn't when running Viper.

You can return completely to stock via an RUU and then install updates (nothing less than that: don't try to install an official update on a custom ROM!). But why bother? There will be custom ROMs based on the new version already (Maximus and ARHD are usually quick), and if Viper takes longer because they have more tweaks it will still come. Installing a new ROM is less hassle than reverting to stock and applying official updates, so that's what I do.

varun Seechurn likes this.
  4. varun Seechurn

varun Seechurn Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
    @Hadron can you help me how to do this steps by steps ? the easiest way
    Its 4.4.2 htc_j15 yup 401.5
    S-off
    Im dying to update it since a year :c

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Do what? If it's just installing a new custom ROM, what I would do is:

* back up my apps and data (e.g. using Titanium Backup)
    * download the ROM .zip and copy it to my SD card
    * boot into recovery
    * take a backup of the current system and data (always a sensible precaution)
    * do a factory reset (if moving to a different ROM, or if it's a major version update)
    * install the new ROM from the zip
    * Reboot phone, restore my data from the backup

That assumes you have a custom recovery, but if you are S-Off I expect you've done that too.

If you want to install and official update but have a custom recovery, if you have not modified the ROM in any way and can find a copy of the official recovery corresponding to your software version then you can fastboot flash that then install the update. But there's no point being S-Off and not rooted, so I asssume you'd need to reflash the whole thing to stock. So for that you have to find a RUU that's compatible with your phone (depends on the "customer id" and software version), back your data up (because a RUU will wipe the device), run the RUU (windows executable), then restore your data, wait to be notified of the update, then let it install. As I say, I personally think the custom ROM way is less hassle.

I might add that while I'm familiar with HTC in general, I don't own an M8, so don't have direct experience of that device.

6. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
    I will go For the first step can you pls send me link for the custom rom?
    @Hadron

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    There are a lot of ROMs, so you have to choose the one you want. You can find them in the appropriate "M8 Android Development" subforum at XDA-developers here (the general "M8 Android Development" forum is right for most people, but there are specific forums for various US carrier devices because those are different. I don't know what variant you have, hence linking only the top level forum).

If you've not done this before, make sure you understand all of the procedures before attempting it.

As noted previously, I don't have an M8 so cannot recommend a specific ROM. ViperOne, Maximimus HD, Android Revolution HD, LeeDroid are all well-respected HTC ROMs generally, and there are many other good ones, but I've not used any of ROM on this device myself.

8. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
    I never done this before...is there any thing to check or difficulties besides adding to sd card and flash..i chose arhd latest version and its currently downloading... Steps to.follow ?

9. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
  10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The first post of the ROM thread usually includes installation instructions (and warnings if any).

The main thing is to back up everything first: use both a backup app such as Titanium and your custom recovery, since the two types of backup serve different purposes. Titanium Pro (paid version) is better because it can back up contacts and messages in a format that can be reloaded on a new ROM, and can extract some data from recovery backups if needed. Certainly make sure that any data you care about are backed-up. If anything goes badly wrong the recovery backup will let you restore your current setup.

And doing a factory reset after the backups and before installation may be a pain, but if you are changing ROMs it will probably save you problems (you can take a change and try without, but if things don't work you'll have to do the reset anyway - and not working can mean anything from not booting at all to little bug in apps or settings). Note: just wipe cache and data, do not wipe sdcard (that's where your backups are!), and wiping system is also not necessary (the ROM install will do that anyway).

11. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
    im doing with backingup and flashing but as soon as it installed it went off black i let it.. and showed me swipe to unlock after sometimes i did the rebooot system it showed supersu install i chose do not install it went to htc logo and still same since 10 mins
    its the latest ARHD @hadro

12. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
    @Hadron PLEASE HELP ME IM ON THE VERSION 6.0 but the wifi on this rom is not working what i need to do now ?

#12 varun Seechurn, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  13. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
  14. varun Seechurn

None

Mar 31, 2015
    Male