1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC One M8 Bricked ?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    Hi please can anyone help
    I purchased this phone for my son's Christmas present this year.
    The phone started to do a system upgrade, it got about half way thro.ugh the upgrade before it put itself into recovery mode, my son is lost without his phone.
    Kind
    Regards
    Gemma

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    A phone will enter recovery mode to apply the update, so that is normal. But it should then install the update rather than get stuck there, which is what your post implies has happened.

It would help to know more, e.g. whether there were any messages before entering recovery or whether it tried to do something while in recovery? The fix may be as simple as rebooting the phone, but it depends on whether it has actually installed anything or not (if it hasn't, if it just went into recovery then did nothing, it will probably be perfectly normal if you reboot it).

saltire likes this.
  3. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

As Hadron says this is usually normal, but there have been instances where the Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) system upgrade on M8 phones has somehow left folk with a phone with no OS so it just keeps booting in to the recovery screen. If you have left it long enough to confirm it is indeed stuck, try to reboot normally and let us know if it just boots back to the recovery screen. It can be fixed but there's a few steps to go through if it comes to that.

Also, depending on the phone's bootloader status (don't worry about that just now), just so you are aware to get back to a working phone might unfortunately involve wiping the device including the internal storage. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's see if it will reboot normally first.

Hadron likes this.