1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Htc one m8 international problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Imran jan, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Imran jan

Imran jan Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2014
    Hi thanks in advance for any help I might get,

Im new to android so sorry if I need things to be explained or Im a bit slow!
    I have a HTC One M8 rooted with superSU and XposedInstaller, S-on, twrp recovery and bootloader unlocked. I wanted to get the OTA Update (3.28.401.9?) and was wondering how I would go about doing this, and how to restore my apps and data after etc.

And also I wanted to know if it would be best to unroot my phone so I could take the Android L update when it is released, and again how would I do that and still keep my data, apps, media etc.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Hi Imran jan. I moved your thread into the root discussion area for the M8. You will get the best answers here. Welcome to Android Forums. Thanks for joining the community.

3. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    hi there and welcome
    it sounds like you are on stock rom and rooted - is that correct? if so i think it should be pretty straight forward - ive not done it myself and am a bit rusty with the process - but i think you can just download the latest firmware from HTC dev site and then flash it
    ...i would wait for confirmation from one of the more technical guys first though :D
    cheers
    dan

.......most important bit - DO A NANDOID BACKUP FIRST! :) ie boot into recovery and select the nandroid option to backup everything - then i like to do a Titanium backup of all my apps

#3 dan55, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Better way is to flash a stock rooted rom of that distribution and reinstall your exposed modules.

If there's a firmware update accompanying that, you need to be s-off (Sunshine ought to work) in order to flash that.

5. Imran jan

Imran jan Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2014

When you say flash it do you mean through TWRP or fastboot?? Where can I get the firmware too? Thanks!

Also I dont wanna S-off if I have to pay, money is pretty tight as a Uni student

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Here's the thread at XDA with the OTA you want that you can flash from TWRP - which is where you're also going to make your (nandroid) backup first ok.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2899900

That also has restrictions - check what version you are now before starting. If in doubt, post it here and we'll be happy to advise. You'll also need to check your CID, can help with that also.

That thread also has the firmware flashes that require s-off.

You can skip those and give just the OTA part a try.

It might not work out - often the rom needs its matching firmware - but not always.

If it doesn't work out for you, you can always restore from your nandroid backup and no harm done.

Have you done nandroid backups before or do you have any questions on that? Don't be shy, it's super important and that's the thing that will save you - and the number one thing we all want you to be OK with.

Hope this helps!

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    PS - even though you're s-on, there is generally a way to get the whole updated payload - you install the factory RUU - the HTC image for the whole thing, firmware and rom.

That's a procedure that I don't know but others do.

If you want to go that way, say, and I'll rustle up someone who knows the procedure.

Just trying the ota flash - provided you make a nandroid backup - that's what I'd try first. But, it's your phone, there's no wrong answer on how to go.

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.
Tags: