1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC One M8 or Samsung Galaxy S 5... Which phone & camera is better?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jo69, Sep 14, 2014.

1. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast

Wanting to by a new phone with a larger screen.
    I like the look of the HTC One M8. But on the internet it gives the camera a really bad review..
    Since taking photos on my phone, that I can put on the computer and organise ( not just view on my phone) is important to me, I wondered what users of the phone can tell me.
    Also is the phone as good as it looks?

My other option is the Samsung Galaxy. S5

What is the phone and especially the camera like?

repair my mobile likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

Camera is debated. Both have their strong points.

As a phone, if the S5 is anything like the S3 and S4 then TouchWiz bogs the phone down so much. Sense has it's own bloat but is so much more optermised by comparison. Multitasking on this phone is far better than anything else I've ever used. My old S3 could have about 4 apps open without them needing to refresh, my iPad Air doesn't even come close. I'll open up an app and it'll be where I left it even if it had disappeared off the 9 panel recents screen, it's genuinely impressive!

jo69 likes this.
  3. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I am swayed by the fact that the HTC phone looks so good.
    But as I say the photos I take on whatever phone, have to be good enough for me to view and edit on my PC.
    Isnt the HTC one a 4mp camera though?

4. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast

Do you edit your photos on the PC and are they grainy?

5. Blade of 3

Blade of 3 Well-Known Member

Yes they are 4 mp but you shouldn't judge how well a picture looks purely on mp count. High mp phones have they're own weaknesses. If you want to know if the quality is good enough for you,your best bet is to judge for yourself. Here's a link to some pictures people have taken with their m8:

http://androidforums.com/htc-one-m8/832012-htc-m8-camera-discussion-show-off-your-pictures.html

jo69 likes this.
  6. jasonspeed

jasonspeed Newbie

Same here. I have the M8 and the wife has the S5. I like Sense better than Touchwiz, low light is better on the M8 but the S5 takes better pictures if you are going to do cropping or zooming, M8 sounds so much better when we are watching videos or music on the phone. I haven't multitasked on the S5 but the M8 is far better than anything else I have used before.

The battery is my only real concern, this is the first phone I have owned with a non-replaceable battery. I'm nearly 6 months into ownership and I haven't had any problems so far but I tend to keep a phone until it is generally unusable. I kept my EVO 4G for 4 years and only considered getting a new phone when the GPS and volume button quit working.

jo69 likes this.
  7. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast

Thanks. Still not sure. Been putting off going to the phone shop in case I get talked into the wrong one. As they tell you anything to make a sale.

8. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast

Yes I intend to do cropping and zooming with all my photos.

9. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

Not thought about a Z3 then?

10. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

Its all in what you need, the m8 is only 4 mp, so zooming isnt going to be an option. Ive printed the 4mp shots on 8x10 and they look fine, so no prints above that. The S5 is a great camera too and has lots more Megapixels to zoom into things and still get a shot...but the M8 can do great things in low light. Took my daughter to a Katy Perry concert..here's a shot from the m8
    [​IMG]Katy Perry prism tour taken by cell phone HTC one m8 by -FaM-, on Flickr

and here's the set
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/thegreatjonashley/sets/72157646340418906/

11. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice
    Finally got a LG G3 and very happy with it so far.

12. C21Realtor

C21Realtor Newbie

Had mine since they came out. Still the best tool I've had. Camera is everything I need. Zoom is a trade off for low light performance. A concession I can easily make.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews