1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC One M8 - Phone Meltdown

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by erehwon13, Feb 27, 2016.

1. erehwon13

erehwon13 Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I've just experienced a collapse in my phone's functionality and I have no idea why. It is a standard HTC build without root or any other modifications like S-OFF.

I updated to Marshmallow in January and have been using it without a problem. Than, a few days ago I suddenly couldn't start the Settings app as it kept crashing. As part of this problem I also couldn't start WiFi or Bluetooth. I tried safe mode but it didn't help at all.

Eventually I decided to do a factory reset, cache wipe and removed the SD card, but this didn't fix my phone. It now doesn't start up properly, with the following messages:

Android is starting
    Optimizing apps 1 of 7

Starting Apps

Failed to load driver. reason: unknown error (19)

It then shows lots of messages for apps that have stopped.

I haven't any idea why this happened but I think there must be some way I can fix it myself, rather than send it back to HTC. Has anyone any suggestions?

Advertisement

Tahin Khan likes this.
  2. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

What carrier are you on? If it's one of the US carriers then there will probably be a full RUU available that you could run to do a completely fresh, clean install.

erehwon13 likes this.
  3. erehwon13

erehwon13 Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I'm in the UK and bought the phone from Carphone Warehouse, so I have the generic (UK) build. I tried to find an RUU for it but couldn't. Maybe I didn't try hard enough!

The phone is with Carphone Warehouse now for them to fix it, but they said it will take 2-4 weeks. :(

Thanks saltire.

4. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

No probs. If by the generic build you mean the WWE version (I got mine at CPW as well and it's WWE) I can point you to an official RUU zip. Would only take an hour or so of your time, so if CPW can't fix it give me a shout.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  5. Som_1991

Som_1991 Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    I ran into the same problem earlier today. HTC desire 816. Have no clue why this would happen. I am out of warranty, so tried to install a custom rom, didn't help. Also, sound drivers aren't working for me. Where can I get these drivers from?

6. erehwon13

erehwon13 Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Can you get hold of the WWE build, like saltire suggested for me? Reflashing the original image seems the safest option.

JTLYK - CPW fixed my phone and then lost it! I have a new Nexus 6P now!!

7. Som_1991

Som_1991 Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
  8. erehwon13

erehwon13 Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I would say yes, but I've not used them before. They seem a good starting point.

9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You'll need to find a "RUU" for your phone amongst that lot. Most of the downloads there will be kernel source code. Only a few devices/networks will have RUUs available there. But worth a try.

RUUs have to be at least as recent a the software you are running, plus have to be for your "cid" (i.e. region, plus carrier if it is a branded phone).

10. Tahin Khan

Tahin Khan Lurker
    None

May 11, 2016
    Male
    I'm having the same problem with my m8 too :'( ....

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.
Tags: