• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One M8 - Phone Meltdown

erehwon13

Jan 27, 2011
I've just experienced a collapse in my phone's functionality and I have no idea why. It is a standard HTC build without root or any other modifications like S-OFF.

I updated to Marshmallow in January and have been using it without a problem. Than, a few days ago I suddenly couldn't start the Settings app as it kept crashing. As part of this problem I also couldn't start WiFi or Bluetooth. I tried safe mode but it didn't help at all.

Eventually I decided to do a factory reset, cache wipe and removed the SD card, but this didn't fix my phone. It now doesn't start up properly, with the following messages:

Android is starting
Optimizing apps 1 of 7

Starting Apps

Failed to load driver. reason: unknown error (19)

It then shows lots of messages for apps that have stopped.

I haven't any idea why this happened but I think there must be some way I can fix it myself, rather than send it back to HTC. Has anyone any suggestions?

Reactions: Tahin Khan
I ran into the same problem earlier today. HTC desire 816. Have no clue why this would happen. I am out of warranty, so tried to install a custom rom, didn't help. Also, sound drivers aren't working for me. Where can I get these drivers from?

I've just experienced a collapse in my phone's functionality and I have no idea why. It is a standard HTC build without root or any other modifications like S-OFF.

I updated to Marshmallow in January and have been using it without a problem. Than, a few days ago I suddenly couldn't start the Settings app as it kept crashing. As part of this problem I also couldn't start WiFi or Bluetooth. I tried safe mode but it didn't help at all.

Eventually I decided to do a factory reset, cache wipe and removed the SD card, but this didn't fix my phone. It now doesn't start up properly, with the following messages:

Android is starting
Optimizing apps 1 of 7

Starting Apps

Failed to load driver. reason: unknown error (19)

It then shows lots of messages for apps that have stopped.

I haven't any idea why this happened but I think there must be some way I can fix it myself, rather than send it back to HTC. Has anyone any suggestions?

Upvote 0
You'll need to find a "RUU" for your phone amongst that lot. Most of the downloads there will be kernel source code. Only a few devices/networks will have RUUs available there. But worth a try.

RUUs have to be at least as recent a the software you are running, plus have to be for your "cid" (i.e. region, plus carrier if it is a branded phone).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones