• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One M8 Root Questions

typerjim

Jul 30, 2014
Hi All,

New to the forum but a member on various others.

I rooted my Galaxy S2 a while ago and feel familiar with the rooting proceedure. I work in 3rd line IT also.

Now, followed a video on rooting my HTC One M8. Unlocked bootloader and then flashed the recovery - TWRP. Then I managed to root. All OK.

Once rooted, I removed some (factory installed) Amazon apps and weird things began to happen whereby the handset would reboot itself over and over. Upon trying to uninstall one non-system related App - either Amazon or Google IIRC - the whole thing froze for what seemed like an eternity. The mrs rang it and nothing happened until 20 minutes later the call came through and the ringtone was blocky and slow....

Mouth went dry and Stomach went....

Managed to get phone back and started up - it had reset itself and lost the root.

Anyone know why it would do this? I used a trusted recovery file.

I would like to root it again, I thought the point of this was to be able to remove factory installed Apps that are never used - if it makes the phone unstable, then I dont see the point.

Any help/advice or guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Typically I use Titanium Backup to "freeze" what I believe to be bloat type apps. After a time, if there are no negative effects, then I may opt to remove. But really, the freeze option is just as good imo. Still removes them from the app tray for the purpose of declutter and it prevents them from running and potentially using resources.

And welcome to Android Forums Jim. :)

Reactions: typerjim
Upvote 0
Apologies for posting in the wrong section.

Thank you for the assistance.

Do I have other options other than using the TWRP recovery? I saw that there is a CWM Recovery option for HTC One M8 but it is not tried and tested.

It is an EE handset - what other options have people chosen here?

Upvote 0
Apologies for posting in the wrong section.

Thank you for the assistance.

Do I have other options other than using the TWRP recovery? I saw that there is a CWM Recovery option for HTC One M8 but it is not tried and tested.

It is an EE handset - what other options have people chosen here?

I will always choose TWRP if given the option. It is more feature rich and has a much more modern UI than CWM.

Reactions: typerjim
Upvote 0
OK. So what I shall do tonight is unlock the bootloader again (I locked it after putting my phone back to factory state)
Flash with TWRM - does this mean I have to use SuperSU recovery S/W?
Root.
Download Ti backup to freeze apps and see how it goes.

Why would it reset and unroot itself the first time though?

Upvote 0
Similar thing happened to me, I'm also on an EE handset and tried to get rid of the Amazon apps and a couple of others. Phone rebooted and they reappeared.

I just ROM'd it instead :p

Nice one. I have the EE handset too. Do you have any more details on the ROM you used - any links to guides on how to flash new ROMS would be a god send.

This is the 2nd phone I have rooted now and have only flashed a ROM on my old S2...

Thanks. (Weird how the Amazon Apps cause so much mither on the EE handsets!?...)

Upvote 0
Nice one. I have the EE handset too. Do you have any more details on the ROM you used - any links to guides on how to flash new ROMS would be a god send.

This is the 2nd phone I have rooted now and have only flashed a ROM on my old S2...

Thanks. (Weird how the Amazon Apps cause so much mither on the EE handsets!?...)

Welcome to the root club!! :D

First off you should look into getting S-off for your device: http://androidforums.com/one-m8-all-things-root/854630-new-s-off-method-released-sunshine.html

S-off makes everything a lot easier in the long run. ;)

Once you get TWRP installed, perform a nandroid backup. It's under the backup tab in TWRP.

After that I would do is look into flashing Viper:
http://androidforums.com/one-m8-all...onem8-android-4-4-2-sense-6-0-htc-one-m8.html

Viper is set up to recognize what variant you have and flash the proper payload. Plus it's just a really good rom. :)

The Viper thread has instructions for flashing the rom. When flashing anything to the phone always follow the developers instructions.

Upvote 0
1. I don't think it's ideal to take an OTA if you are rooted. If you are running a custom recovery (usually the easiest way to gain root) then no, you will definitely not be able to take an OTA.
2. There's a full system modification called Xposed that allows tweaks and hook ins. One of these is to hide root. From reading the thread over on xda it's a bit hit and miss with certain apps. But you need a custom recovery to install it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones