• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One M8's photo file size?

Does anyone know the typical file sizes for the HTC One M8's photos? Some of my older photos are displaying smaller file sizes, around 474 KBs (the resolution is 4 MP) and I am wondering if these back-ups via Google Photos may have been downsized based on file sizes and not resolution dimensions. Maybe I selected for my Google Photos settings to save the back-ups with downsized file sizes or maybe the HTC One M8's camera did not produce larger file sizes?

I don't have an M8 but I used an M7 for several years, and its photos are typically around 1 MB, but range from about 480 kB to 1.4 MB. This variation is normal for jpegs, since that is a compressed format: images with a lot of detail cannot be compressed as much, while images with less detail can be compressed to smaller files.

(These are images which were transferred to my current phone via USB, not things that were uploaded to/downloaded from Google Photos, so the sizes are what the M7's camera app produced).

Reactions: Emily Viola
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones