• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC ONE M9 boot loop

daniw90

Lurker
Mar 3, 2017
MY HTC one m9 has become stuck in a boot loop. I've tried the factory reset, going into recovery mode, letting the battery drain charging and the the reset again but nothing has worked.

The phone had the latest version of android installed and wasn't rooted or anything like that.

I'm really stuck and not sure what to do, if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!

Reactions: Zelp
@Zelp from your other post it sounds like your problem is completely different (a bad update possibly, but what you describe isn't a bootloop). My advice would be to try to find a suitable RUU and reflash it. If you need help with finding that I'll try to look in later, but haven't time right now.

@daniw90 if a reset didn't fix it it may be the same for you, but we'll need more information to find an RUU (cidnum or country/carrier the phone was originally sold through, and what software version - latest is different for different phones, so actual version number, also hboot or baseband info from hboot screen would be good). Did anything happen or change before this started, and has the phone ever got wet or been damaged).?

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
@Zelp from your other post it sounds like your problem is completely different (a bad update possibly, but what you describe isn't a bootloop). My advice would be to try to find a suitable RUU and reflash it. If you need help with finding that I'll try to look in later, but haven't time right now.
Thanks Hadron. I was running official Sprint software, no root or anything. I was looking through some old emails and I ordered my new htc 10 on Dec 19th last year, so whatever update Sprint had just pushed out broke it. From reading some Sprint forums my best guess is this one.
HTC One M9 software update - version 3.41.651.13

not sure if that helps, obvioulsly i can't boot it up to find any more details.

Upvote 0
OK, we may be able to do this officially via HTC (you are lucky it is Sprint, it's generally easier to find their most recent update than some other carriers).

Go to this page. It has instructions for updating to 3.41.651.41, and it sounds unlikely that your phone has older software. The section about performing the update manually is what you want. Download the software to a PC (link at bottom of that page), put the phone in download mode, connect it to the PC via USB, run the package that you downloaded and follow the instructions. If it doesn't work, let us know what error messages it produces. If it runs successfully but you still have the problem then it's probably a job for a repair shop.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
OK, we may be able to do this officially via HTC (you are lucky it is Sprint, it's generally easier to find their most recent update than some other carriers).

Go to this page. It has instructions for updating to 3.41.651.41, and it sounds unlikely that your phone has older software. The section about performing the update manually is what you want. Download the software to a PC (link at bottom of that page), put the phone in download mode, connect it to the PC via USB, run the package that you downloaded and follow the instructions. If it doesn't work, let us know what error messages it produces. If it runs successfully but you still have the problem then it's probably a job for a repair shop.
I am not able to boot into download mode, but will give this a try, perhaps tomorrow night after the kids are in bed.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with my Galaxy S6 (SM-G920P) i installed a custom ROM then it started to reboot by itself after the installation was completed, and it keeps rebooting after 1 minute, can someone help me?

Firmware i have (6.0.1 PL3)
Custom ROM i tried to install and give me the problem (BigDaddy For 6.0.1)

Upvote 0
You'll have to ask over in the S6 section. ROMs for the S6 will be totally different from the M9. Also your problem has a different cause from what is discussed in this thread so probably a different solution.

However, if you didn't do a factory reset when flashing that is probably the cause. Or if you restored system data after flashing the ROM. If you did reset and didn't restore anything you shouldn't, and you checked the md5 sum of the ROM so you know it downloaded ok, then I suggest finding a different ROM.

Upvote 0
Well, downloaded the latest RUU, but it won't run. It thinks my battery is less than 30%. And I can't seem to power it down. Whenever I plug it in, it turns itself on. When I select 'Power Down' option, it comes right back on. Don't really want to take it in to pay for fix, it was just going to spare phone for the kids to put games on.

Any other ideas? For now, just gonna leave it plugged in all night, try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0
If it's not running it's possible you downloaded the wrong ruu. If you do have the correct RUU then try running it with the phone in fastboot mode. In other words from the bootloader. Try holding volume down and power until the phone boots to the bootloader screen. Then connect the phone to the pc and try running the ruu again.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum and please help me.

I have the same problem with last software update done recently on my HTC One M9.
I followed tips provided by @Hadron, but it did not work.
The error produced is Error 130 error id model.

I tried with utility RUU_HIMA_WHL_M60_SENSE70_SPCS_MR_Sprint_WWE_3.41.651.41 but the error produced is Error 132 Signature Error

How to find a correct utility version? What do you need to find a corret utility for my smartphone?

OS Image version is: 4.14.401.7

Thanks in advance
Regards

Upvote 0
Can we assume it is a Sprint model, since you tried a Sprint RUU? If so then your problem would be that 3.41.651.41 is older than 4.14.401.7 - the RUU cannot downgrade the software.

The link from this page might work though: it seems to be a 4.27.651.4 ROM (which I found by typing "Sprint M9 download" into Google - remembering that Sprint put RUUs on their website. This wouldn't work for most carriers).

Upvote 0
Hi Hadron,

thank you a lot for your support, but I received the same error: 130 Error Id Model.

What do you mean Can we assume it si a Sprint Model?

Another information: Software status Official - Locked - S-ON
and when my HTC One M9 goes in download mode, i see follow information

*** LOCKED ***
htc_himauhl PVT S-ON
LK-1.0.0.0000
RADIO-01.01_U11401011_117.00.61117G_2
OpenDSP-20.7.3.00535.8994_2023
OS-4.14.401.7

Let me know.
Thanks in advance
Regards

Michele

Upvote 0
I mean, can we assume that your phone is a Sprint model? If it isn't then Sprint software won't load (and that's a good thing: if you could load Sprint software on a non-Sprint model the result would be disastrous).

Actually I don't think UHL is a Sprint device, so that's why it isn't working. What country did you buy it in, and was it an unlocked model or did you buy it from a carrier (and if so, which)? We need to find this information to find an RUU that will run on your phone.

(The software info you have provided might be enough to identify it, but it may not. I'm not able to spend much time online right now so won't be able to search enough to find that out).

Upvote 0
Hi Hadron,

I bought smartphone in Italy from a TIM Shop. I don't know which is carrier (CID) of my smartphone (Can I try with this command fastboot oem readcid?).

I've tried the factory reset, going into recovery mode but nothing has worked.

Anything else?

Thank you very much for your support.

Best Regards
Michele

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Hadron,

I'm sorry for delay. Below all information retrieved (fastboot getvar all):

(bootloader) kernel: lk
(bootloader) product: htc_himauhl
(bootloader) version: 1.0
(bootloader) serialno: #############
(bootloader) current-slot:
(bootloader) imei: ###################
(bootloader) version-main: 4.14.401.7
(bootloader) boot-mode: download
(bootloader) version-baseband: 01.01_U114401011_117.00.61117G_2_F
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.0.0.0000
(bootloader) mid: 0PJA10000
(bootloader) cid: HTC__031

I hope this information can help us.

Thank you

Greetings
Michele

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, sorry, I hadn't spotted that you were planning to flash this as recovery - I assumed you were trying to flash it as an RUU! No, there's a specific process for flashing RUU zips.

Try the following:

fastboot oem rebootRUU

which should give you a black screen with HTC in silvery letters (from memory). That is "RUU mode". Then use the command "fastboot flash zip" to flash the RUU zip file:

fastboot flash zip 0PJAIMG_HIMA_UHL_N70_SENSE80_MR_HTC_Europe_4.14.401.7_Radio_01.01_U114401011_117.00.61117G_2_F_release_490768_signed_2_4.zip

Note that flashing an RUU this way is a two-stage process. The first time you do it it should just flash the hboot, then end with a message like:

"FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)"

(Why they've never corrected that spelling mistake I don't know!). So if you see what looks like a successful hboot flash followed by that message, do what it says and repeat the "fastboot flash zip" command. The second time it should take a lot longer, flash all the other partitions, and end with a lot of messages telling you it's succeeded. The progress bar on the phone screen should stop at ~90% - that's normal. The last bit is rebooting, but it stops rather than doing that automatically in case there are any errors during the flashing (i.e. to give you a chance to fix them). As long as there are no errors and the computer tells you it was successful you can then use

fastboot reboot-bootloader

and it should complete. But if there are problems ask for help before rebooting.

Reactions: CrazyWave
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones