• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Htc One M9 red ! triangle after system update

Regentix

Lurker
Feb 3, 2017
Hello,

I have an HTC One M9, currently on Android 6.0, not rooted. A few days ago i got this system update, whenever i download it and afterwards try to install, it would reach 100% on the progress bar. BUT ... When it auto reboots, it shows a red ! triangle on startup. When the phone is rebooted, the update is not installed.

What should i do now?

Thanks in advance,
Regentix

Last edited:
The red triangle sounds like recovery mode. I'm assuming that not rooted means software not modified at all, ever, as opposed to "has been unrooted", as that would raise other possibilities.

I'd start by deleting the update. If the settings have that option, use it. Otherwise go back into recovery, bring up the recovery menu (I think you presented power and volume up together while the red triangle is on screen - a long time since I had a stock recovery), then erase the cache (just that, do not do a factory reset or wipe anything else).

The idea is to remove that copy and download a new one, see whether it works better.

BTW how do you know the update hasn't installed? Are you comparing build numbers (not all updates change the Android version)?

Upvote 0
The red triangle sounds like recovery mode. I'm assuming that not rooted means software not modified at all, ever, as opposed to "has been unrooted", as that would raise other possibilities.

I'd start by deleting the update. If the settings have that option, use it. Otherwise go back into recovery, bring up the recovery menu (I think you presented power and volume up together while the red triangle is on screen - a long time since I had a stock recovery), then erase the cache (just that, do not do a factory reset or wipe anything else).

The idea is to remove that copy and download a new one, see whether it works better.

BTW how do you know the update hasn't installed? Are you comparing build numbers (not all updates change the Android version)?

I can see the update hasnt installed because the same update pops up as new system update available.

I will keep u posted on whatever happens. Ill try your method.

Upvote 0
Yes, if it's downloading a new copy that does imply that it has deleted the old one (which makes sense if it thinks it applied successfully).

Hmm, you can stop the irritation of constant downloading by changing settings so that it doesn't do that (unless you are with one of those US carriers who remove that option). But that doesn't fix the problem, just stops it interrupting you.

It's not obvious why this is happening (if it's able to write the update it should install, if not it should display some sort of error). Is this an unlocked, unbranded handset or did you buy it through a carrier who modify the software? That will tell us who is responsible for the update, in case you have to contact them.

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem. Carrier is Sprint, update popped up and it downloaded, re-booted device and counted up two 25% and then got the red triangle. Tried a couple of times OTA as well as plugging in to a computer and downloading / running the ruu from HTC's website (http://www.htc.com/us/support/updates.aspx) with luck. Never rooted or did any custom rom or anything like that.

Upvote 0
Just tried pulling the rom.zip from the ruu and dropped it on an micro sd card and tried applying the update from the sd card in the recovery mode menu and it failed. It says:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:footer is wrong
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: JimmerDean
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones