• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One m9 still overheats after software update

klear6

Nov 3, 2015
Hello friends,
I have an HTC one m9 with the latest updates (at least that is what it says when I go to "About" on the settings menu and try to update it"). I have been having heat issues with this phone since the day that I got it. At first I thought it was a hardware defect so I returned the phone and got a replacement. The day after I sent in the old one, and before the new one had arrived, HTC released an update that was supposed to fix the overheating issue. The new phone arrived and I updated it and it did not have the same problem any more. Yay! Except the new one had a bad battery and given the fact that the case was not easily opened to replace just the battery
I returned the phone again and got ANOTHER replacement. I should have realized the initial series of events was a bit ominous. But, I loved the phone. Besides the overheating issue and the charging issue, it is fantastic. It runs smoothly, has plenty of space, looks great (not that you can really tell with the case on, though) and I have had less problems with it than any other elctronics I have bought in a long, long time. I was so happy about the update - until the overheating problem started again. I did a factory reset and still have the same problem. If I leave it charging overnight it is nice and cool in the morning. As soon as I start really using it it heats up to as much as 125 degrees Fahrenheit. It averages around 111 degrees. So, I have to figure out how to fix this because at this point I cannot get a different phone. Please help me troubleshoot this! I do not know if it a rogue app or a system process or what. I have messed with it a little - disabling things here and there and changing some settings but nothing seems to make much of a difference. Given that it only started again a couple days ago and that I have been using new apps and customizing, I am pretty sure it is a software conflict of some kind. I will be happy to give you guys whatever information you ask for in order to solve this issue. I'm pretty determined and, at this point, interested to know what I have done to cause such a problem. I know these phones are prone to overheating issues to begin with so I can't totally blame myself. But, given that it was working fine for awhile, I need to discover the culprit and take it out swiftly and silently like a ninja in the night. My phone is not rooted and I would like to avoid rooting it if possible because I know myself and I am too eager to discover everything about my electronics that I will probably brick it very quickly. I'm sure I could reverse that problem but I don't want to keep resetting it. I just got my husband's old galaxy 3 to root anyways, so I can learn off that one without having to worry about not having a functioning phone in case of an emergency. So cmon guys - open sourcers, developers, whoever else wants to help let's figure this out! =)
Thanks so much in advance
klear6

I would suggest taking a serious look at your app library. Being as the problem followed you across different phones points to something you've installed. You might narrow the field of search if you could recall installing something around the time your heat issue reoccurred. If nothing else, disable an app at a time and see if you can find the culprit. I wish you luck.

Upvote 0
Hello friends,
I have an HTC one m9 with the latest updates (at least that is what it says when I go to "About" on the settings menu and try to update it"). I have been having heat issues with this phone since the day that I got it. At first I thought it was a hardware defect so I returned the phone and got a replacement. The day after I sent in the old one, and before the new one had arrived, HTC released an update that was supposed to fix the overheating issue. The new phone arrived and I updated it and it did not have the same problem any more. Yay! Except the new one had a bad battery and given the fact that the case was not easily opened to replace just the battery
I returned the phone again and got ANOTHER replacement. I should have realized the initial series of events was a bit ominous. But, I loved the phone. Besides the overheating issue and the charging issue, it is fantastic. It runs smoothly, has plenty of space, looks great (not that you can really tell with the case on, though) and I have had less problems with it than any other elctronics I have bought in a long, long time. I was so happy about the update - until the overheating problem started again. I did a factory reset and still have the same problem. If I leave it charging overnight it is nice and cool in the morning. As soon as I start really using it it heats up to as much as 125 degrees Fahrenheit. It averages around 111 degrees. So, I have to figure out how to fix this because at this point I cannot get a different phone. Please help me troubleshoot this! I do not know if it a rogue app or a system process or what. I have messed with it a little - disabling things here and there and changing some settings but nothing seems to make much of a difference. Given that it only started again a couple days ago and that I have been using new apps and customizing, I am pretty sure it is a software conflict of some kind. I will be happy to give you guys whatever information you ask for in order to solve this issue. I'm pretty determined and, at this point, interested to know what I have done to cause such a problem. I know these phones are prone to overheating issues to begin with so I can't totally blame myself. But, given that it was working fine for awhile, I need to discover the culprit and take it out swiftly and silently like a ninja in the night. My phone is not rooted and I would like to avoid rooting it if possible because I know myself and I am too eager to discover everything about my electronics that I will probably brick it very quickly. I'm sure I could reverse that problem but I don't want to keep resetting it. I just got my husband's old galaxy 3 to root anyways, so I can learn off that one without having to worry about not having a functioning phone in case of an emergency. So cmon guys - open sourcers, developers, whoever else wants to help let's figure this out! =)
Thanks so much in advance
klear6

Have you had a look at your battery usage history? That may give you a starting point to track down any recently added app/s as being responsible - an app with high battery drain coupled with low usage time may show up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have had multiple issues with overheating. I am not sure if it is the same for you, but whenever there is an update and the last three (including this week's MM update) have caused my phone to be a overheating fool. The only way I have managed to overcome this is to do a Master Reset as T-Mobile calls it, and NOT do a restore from backup, but actually reinstall manually all my apps again. I am not sure why, but there seems to be something that gets stuck on the old update and works overtime until it is fresh installed under the new update. So in a little bit I will be wiping her clean again to fix my issue.

Upvote 0
The one M9 in my family seems just fine.

I just now asked my daughter how her's is doing. It did some kind of an upgrade, and still wants to do another one, she keeps telling it to do it at 5 AM, but the ??? keep popping up again.... ah well

We are on Verizon.
It runs very hot
It works just fine​

Do you want to try my backup S5?
No, it is not broken, just leave well enough alone.​

Upvote 0
I'm surprised Verizon give her any choice about the update - I thought that forcing updates regardless was one of their things?

My Note 4 has a 6.x update available.
When I checked for Updates, it offered me the chance to tell it NO and it displayed. "You will not see anymore update questions now. If you want to apply the Update, Check again... and you can do it yourself.'

I told it NO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones