• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One on T-Mo vs. Nexus 4

PilotBob

Jul 18, 2012
Tampa, FL
bob.archer.net
wrt t-mobile 1900 Ghz markets I found this document:

Network Evolution | Support

Which lists the Tampa, Orlando and Providence RI markets as modernized with 1900 support. Those are the primary markets I where I will use the phone.

I also found this document which lists the current LTE markets:

4G LTE Coverage | Support

Which is VERY small. ;)

So, I would probably be fine with not having the 1700/2100 supported phone.

However, at this point I am highly thinking of just switching to the Nexus 4. I like the idea of stock android and the plethora of ROMs... (and at $349 vs $570) also there is a known hack to turn the non-certified LTE radio on. Also, it has the 1700 so would support the nationwide HSPA+ 42 of tmo which I have read can be as fast or even better than LTE in some places.

Argh... decisions/decisions. Has anyone compared the Nexus 4 to the HTC One side by side... the specs seem highly similar. Or is this the wrong thread to ask that?

BOb

I don't offhand know where there's a side-by-side comparison, but on most hardware specs the One wins: higher screen resolution, more storage (but see below), more powerful cpu, and IMO better camera. But as you say, the Nexus is already stock and much cheaper.

There was a rumour recently that a 32GB, officially LTE-enabled N4 might be announced at Google IO. As that's only next week, you might want to wait to see whether that's true before pulling the trigger on the Nexus. If it does turn out to be true, even if you decide the 16GB is enough it would probably drop in price (as happened when the N7 went from 8 or 16 to 16 or 32).

Edit: as this is slightly off topic, feel free to move to an appropriate thread if you like ;)

Upvote 0
I don't offhand know where there's a side-by-side comparison, but on most hardware specs the One wins: higher screen resolution, more storage (but see below), more powerful cpu, and IMO better camera. But as you say, the Nexus is already stock and much cheaper.

There was a rumour recently that a 32GB, officially LTE-enabled N4 might be announced at Google IO. As that's only next week, you might want to wait to see whether that's true before pulling the trigger on the Nexus. If it does turn out to be true, even if you decide the 16GB is enough it would probably drop in price (as happened when the N7 went from 8 or 16 to 16 or 32).

Edit: as this is slightly off topic, feel free to move to an appropriate thread if you like ;)

Thanks for the help. I did find a side by side and the specs weren't that much different... at least not $200 better in my mind.

I got impulsive (after being bummed that the HTC One unlocked didn't have the 1700 stuff, not sure why) and canceled my HTC One order (which was pushed to 5/23 backorder again) and ordered a Nexus 4. I do have 15 days to return it... so if something better is announced I can always cancel/return it.

Also, I won't have to worry about returning my old phone, and can give it to a friend or perhaps send it to one of the ROM devs since they have provided so much help.

BOb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones