• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC ONE S on Simple Mobile 2G only?

I just got a T-Mobile HTC ONE S (S4 Version) and I am surprised to be getting 2G speed.

The phone is 4G and is advertised by Simple Mobile to be supporting 4G so I don't know what's going on.

Doing some search I saw some reports that T-Mobile is doing some refarming of their 1900 MHz spectrum from 2G (EDGE) technology to 4G LTE could this be the cause of me getting 2G in Fort Lauderdale South Florida?

Or is it because even though SM use the TM network you don't get 4G speed?

Or do I need to unlock my phone...does it make any difference?:thinking:

I am using a simple mobile micro-SIM card that was cut down by the dealer from a mini-SIM using a SIM cutter. The phone is new, came with Android 4.1.1, and I set it according to the SM web site.

Android 4.0 & 4.1 (Ice Cream Sandwich & Jelly Bean) - Internet and MMS

1. Pull down the notifications screen & tap on Settings
  2. Tap on Mobile Data (some phones say "more"
  3. Tap Mobile Networks (some phones have "Access Point Names" here)
  4. Tap Access Point Names
  5. Press the menu button
  6. Select New APN
    • Name:SIMPLE Mobile
    • APN: simple
    • Proxy:<Not set>
    • Port:<Not set>
    • Username:<Not set>
    • Password:<Not set>
    • Server:<Not set>
    • MMSC:http://smpl.mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • MMS Proxy:<Not set>
    • MMS Port:<Not set>
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • APN Type: default,supl,mms,admin
    • If no APN settings are present, a restore to factory default settings may be required.
  7. Select Menu and Save
  8. Go back one screen to the APN list and tap on the dot to Enable the SIMPLE Mobile APN
  9. Restart phone & you're set!
  10. These settings have been tested to work with the Galaxy S3 and the HTC One S
I am pretty sure the APN settings are correct but I am getting 2G.

The frequencies for this phone:
WCDMA 1700 / 2100
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

I am in Fort Lauderdale area. If I set the network mode to GSM only, I get 2G, if I set it to WCDMA only, I get NOTHING. So it's using GSM.

I am confused.

Upvote 0
Do u got the right apn settings?

Yes. I checked many times.

But the last test I did, which was to take a neighbor of mine who also have a HTC ONE S with T-Mobile, standing in the same spot, he has 4G, I have 2G. Then we both opened the phone, and swapped SIM cards, restarted phones, still his SIM on my phone - 2G, my SIM on his phone - 4G. That can't be APN related then right?

Upvote 0
Yes. I checked many times.

But the last test I did, which was to take a neighbor of mine who also have a HTC ONE S with T-Mobile, standing in the same spot, he has 4G, I have 2G. Then we both opened the phone, and swapped SIM cards, restarted phones, still his SIM on my phone - 2G, my SIM on his phone - 4G. That can't be APN related then right?

Its mostly a phone issue then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones