1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC One - Wet

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Berksy1, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Berksy1

Berksy1 Guest
    None
    I have a HTC One, that got dropped in a sink full of water and soap. I got it out straight away and used a hair dryer to dry it off, then stupidly plugged it in to see if it would charge. It did. I removed the power lead straight after popped my phone into a tub of rice and put it in the airing cupboard. It stayed in there for about 20 hours and I then plugged it into my computer to see if I could retrieve the data off it. The red power light flashed about 5 times, then went to a solid light. I tried to turn it on, it vibrated, made the start up tone but then stopped charging and the screen stayed black and blank as if it was still off.
    Does anyone know if there's any way that I could retrieve the data (pics, vids and most importantly, my contacts) from my phone, or a quick fix repair so that I can sync it with HTC Manager?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    There probably are a few ways to retrieve the data but they all require removing a lot of parts from the phone, building jigs to mount the parts in and ... you get the idea - it's VERY expensive, and probably not worth th money. (We're talking 6 figures or more.)

First mistake - not removing the battery.
    Second mistake - drying the phone.
    Third mistake - plugging in a wet phone. That just about destroyed anything that was left by that point.
    Fourth mistake - leaving a phone wet for 20 hours.

Unless the phone has some very critical information on it, remove the SIM card, remove the microSD card and toss the phone. (If it has critical information on it, reduce it to tiny pieces with a large hammer before tossing it.) Make sure you dispose oof the battery properly - it's toxic and shouldn't be thrown out with regular trash.

Then read Wet Phone so you'll have at least some chance of saving a phone if it gets wet.