1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC ONE X UPDATE IN CAR USB COnnection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mtagt56, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mtagt56

mtagt56 Lurker

Hi after receiving the 4.1.1 update I have lost the option to connect to my disk drive via my car usb cable, meaning i am unable to select music from my phone to play through stereo all i get is teethering option. i can see my phone and storage on pc. its simply the option of playing and selecting music through my car stereo like i could before this update

cheers in advance for the help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. m3man

m3man Newbie

Same.

This is because the option to mount as a drive has now been removed with the 'update'
    Have tried allowing internet pass through mode, usb tethering (they actually both enable the car stereo to 'see' that a USB device is now attached however no files are found) and also enabling USB debugging.

Still worthless.

3. m3man

m3man Newbie

my response from HTC;

My name is Jonathan and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with not being able to set the connection type on your phone since updating to Jelly Bean.

I apologise but the Jelly Bean update was designed by Google automatically set the connection type dependent on what function the user was try to use, so there are no options to set the connection type.

I am sorry if this has meant that you are no longer able to connect your device to your car stereo, but this is a feature of the update, and cannot be changed at present. I will forward your feedback on to our developers to look at for future updates.

As a software developer, I am fully aware of using the word "feature".

What a load of shit.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

While I can understand your frustration, the HTC rep is essentially correct. The option to connect as a generic mass storage device is going away with JB which is directly part of Android, not something that the manufacturers chose to do.

I do not know the rationale behind the decision or the underlying technological reasons so I can't really say if this is a positive move on Google's part, but I do sympathies with many who've had favorite features removed due to updates. It is little consolation but it is one of the risks of staying at the forefront of technology.

5. m3man

m3man Newbie

I agree in the sense that moving forward with technology this is a great step forward. Why you should have to choose between the two is beyond me.

however, what would be really good. And i mean REALLY good. was that if you were to do this, you actually tried TESTING it first.

This phone is now worthless to me.

6. lunatic59

I am sure HTC was aware of the changes. They do test the firmware prior to release. What they can't predict, however, is how it may affect every customer because they don't know each person's patterns of use.

I think what would be better would be a notice prior to installation about what's changes, similar to the way you are notified of app permission changes. That way you can decide if the update is going to have any negative consequences before you install it.

It may be possible to flash your phone back to ICS and restore the USB functionality, but as I don't have a One X, some else will have to assist you with that. If you want to go that route, I could perhaps find someone for you.

7. m3man

m3man Newbie

I am awaiting a response from HTS on if this is possible.

I have just spoken to Vodafone who assumered me that a third party shop such as phones4u or carphone warehouse will be able to roll it back to ICS. I'm not convinced but will give it a shot. If not then I will push to get released from this contract...

8. lunatic59

Just remember that this process with wipe everything off your phone. Make sure you have everything backed up, before you take it in or you could lose important information. Text messages and emails are not saved on the sd card partition, so you will need to find individual solutions to pack those up.

9. m3man

m3man Newbie

will do, thanks

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews