• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One X+ vs Galaxy SIII

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on this........

I currently have a HTC Desire HD which I am going to upgrade.
I am now stuck between 2 phones, the Galaxy SIII and the HTC One X+.

The One X+ seems to have fantastic specs but there are a couple of things which i'm not sure about....... I see there is no flash on it, it supports HTML 5 though, does anyone find this a big issue? I find my current phone very good compared to my girlfriends iPhone 4 which has trouble on a lot of sites that use flash.

Also, the fact that you can't remove the battery is a little annoying, but again I don't know if anyone has had any issues with this in the past?

I saw on an SIII today that you can use multiscreen which allows you do 2 things at once, I thought that was a great feature, does anyone know if this is a Samsung or Android feature? Would it be possible on the One X+?

I also saw something about the SIII not being great with Android 4.1, anyone else hear anything like this?

Sorry for the hundred question post! But if anyone can advise me which might be the best buy it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

N

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on this........

I currently have a HTC Desire HD which I am going to upgrade.
I am now stuck between 2 phones, the Galaxy SIII and the HTC One X+.

The One X+ seems to have fantastic specs but there are a couple of things which i'm not sure about....... I see there is no flash on it, it supports HTML 5 though, does anyone find this a big issue? I find my current phone very good compared to my girlfriends iPhone 4 which has trouble on a lot of sites that use flash.

Also, the fact that you can't remove the battery is a little annoying, but again I don't know if anyone has had any issues with this in the past?

I saw on an SIII today that you can use multiscreen which allows you do 2 things at once, I thought that was a great feature, does anyone know if this is a Samsung or Android feature? Would it be possible on the One X+?

I also saw something about the SIII not being great with Android 4.1, anyone else hear anything like this?

Sorry for the hundred question post! But if anyone can advise me which might be the best buy it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

N
I'll try my best to answer some of these questions.
Correct me if I'm wrong (anybody), but I heard that JB didn't support Flash at all anymore. (But it's pretty easy to get that feature back.)

Multiscreen is available ONLY for TouchWiz, not stock Android, so it's not available for the One X+ (without rooting).

Non-removable batteries are great and all, but not completely necessary. It depends how much you charge/use your phone.

The SIII with ICS was pretty smooth, so I can't imagine JB being any worse.

Upvote 0
Correct on Flash, not supported by Jelly Bean but can be added so no difference on that. So not an issue on any high end Android none have support I believe.

Also correct on Multiscreen.

I think removable batteries are a great feature but I could live without if other stats seemed better.

No SD slot? I don't like. If I had the 64GB or maybe even 32GB version I would be OK but what is the cost?

I have the US version but no problem with JB on SIII.

Edit: I like my GIII very much. It is very light and slim. Almost slippery. Many talk about it's build feel being cheap. Well with my case it does not matter. If you don't use a case then the feel of the HTC would win I think but if you do not sure it would matter and the GIII I have in case feels thinner than the HTC I think.

Upvote 0
Hi unc and SIII Groupie,

Thank you both for your replies.

The non-SD Card is annoying, but I would definitely be going for the 64GB if I was to get it.
By the looks of things though you currently can't get the 4G version of this in Ireland. (4G hasn't been launched yet in Ireland but is due in the next couple of months, I am planning to keep this phone for quite awhile so I definitely want to get the 4G version)
When looking at it this was though, I am now thinking of maybe holding out for the Galaxy S4 (which from what I can see is due for release in the next few months)
Does anyone know anything about this at all? Or is everything out there just speculation?
Also, is what i'm seeing of a release in around April accurate?

Upvote 0
The short answer re the S4 is that it's all speculation. It's a safe bet that there will be an S3 successor, you'd expect it in the first half of this year (based on when the S3 was released) , and with new models from other manufacturers beginning to appear people are speculating that it might come a little earlier rather than later. But I've seen nothing that suggests that anyone actually *knows* anything about the schedule.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies all,
Whats the DNA J Butterfly? That this one here?

So hard to choose, I just really want to get the best available with very good specs so as that it will last me a few years anyway!

In terms of Samsung v HTC in general, does anyone have opinions based on HTC sense and TouchWiz? I know thats a question that is really based on personal preferences but i'm open to any pros or cons that people might have found!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones