1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

HTC Orders ROM Hackers to Cease and Desist

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Jun 17, 2010.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot

Apr 12, 2008
    One of the more dedicated communities of Android users is the ROM developers, who often have phones rooted and running new software hacks even before the phones hit the streets (or shortly after). It has always been a part of Android and always will be as individuals strive to improve the overall functionality of what [...]

More...

Advertisement

2. anomaly

anomaly Active Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Why do they want them to stop? Part of their customer base is people who want these devices which can run ROMS and custom UI's, etc etc. Why try to kill an attractive feature on their handsets?

3. Bluegrass_Hero

Bluegrass_Hero New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Between IN and TN.
    Ahh, HTC is dumb sometimes. I don't see how people modding their phones hurts them, the only revenue they get is people buying the phone, and that's about it... and letting people mod would be a huge selling point.

4. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Student
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think what they do not like is the fact that people are taking Sense and porting it to other devices.

By stopping the availability of the roms, they can stop people from porting them.

Sense is a major reason people buy HTC phones over Motorola/Samsung/LG/Acer/etc. Doubt they will take action because modding is also a reason people buy their phones and I am sure they know it.