1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC people, what do I lose and miss switching to CM?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by John Redcorn, Sep 14, 2011.

1. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I have a list of pros and cons in my head of switching over to cyanogen on my inspire. The pros are starting to add up and it's getting close to time.

So far my only cons are:
    I lose the time wheels for setting appt times and alarms. This is just one of a very few things I can think of I like about sense. I don't use the sense launcher, messaging, email, keyboard, widgets or gallery.

The camera I like that too, I've heard something that the aosp camera or whatever cm uses doesn't have tap to focus?? is that it? is it a big problem? it does still do some sort of autofocusing right?

Dialer/contacts, how big of a change is that?

That's really all I can think of, I have cm7 on a nook color, it's nice but it's really my wife's and I don't play around with it much anymore. It's also not an everyday-carry phone and has no camera so the experience might translate in different ways.

Advertisement

2. HJAcevedo

HJAcevedo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would say the biggest thing you would be missing would be the AMAZING htc widgets but since you listed that as something you don't use then go right ahead.

Have you looked up review videos on youtube?

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Remember, it's super easy to revert back to stock (rooted) after backing up and flashing CM7. I've never used a Sense based phone, but have used CM7 on my Droid and Nook Color. It's not overly flashy (or "themey"), but is nice and fast and adds a lot of extra settings and hacks. Give it a shot!

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The main thing I missed is the Sense Camera, compared with the CM7 offering, it's outstanding. You can install the MIUI camera though, whilst not as good as Sense, it's still better than the included CM7 app.

Once you see how slick your handset becomes with CM7, you'll quickly forget about a lot of the Sense stuff. :p

John Redcorn likes this.
  5. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    I missed the Sense clock a lot at first, especially the timer/stopwatch functions, but Ultrachron fills the gap nicely. :)

John Redcorn likes this.
  6. HJAcevedo

HJAcevedo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    Have you looked up Virtuous Unity? Sense rom and very smooth and great battery life.

John Redcorn likes this.
  7. John Redcorn

None

May 9, 2011
    Oh no I use the timer and stopwatch all the time!

Thank you all for the info.

virtuous unity: I don't really want to install a sense rom since I don't really use any of the stuff besides the clock and camera. I'm pretty set right now on using CM but I am definitely going to play around with others, would like to see what a sense 3 one is like.

edit: ahh, this one is sense 3. making a note of it. Do you have to change filesytems? I thought I read somewhere that sense 3 roms needed all your partitions converted to ext4 or something. What are they stock, ext3?

edit again: CM7 installed! nothing to do at work today and there's a new ace hack kit for inspires that's pretty much a one click deal, does goldcard and everything.

8. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Sense sucks...even the watered down sense on my MT4G makes things like messaging more annoying than on every other android phone I have used(aside from the MT3G slide)

9. John Redcorn

None

May 9, 2011
    Holy crap the long-press volume key = mp3 track change is the best thing ever. It even works with the subsonic player. I'm changing tracks without turning the screen on!

And thanks for the miui camera reccomendation. I found it on xda and it's lots better.