• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC power saver useless

D

Deleted User

So I have been working with this phone the only way I can right now, by testing battery life situations.

The first was power save on and data/wifi/bt off. With everything in the power save menu enabled. At school, all day with mild usage I got 10 hours.

The second with power saver off and also bt/wifi/mobile data off. At school with the same usage, I received 23 hours.

Feel free to share the results you get in different areas. I find it interesting to be the opposite of what one might assume.

Did you record the 2G search power usage? Theradios eat a lot of battery, and in a school can vary wildly even if you move a few inches. Doing a valid test outside a test range is almost impossible. You'd need two phones that are absolutely identical, including the same battery (IOW, 2 instances of one battery, which is impossible), both in exactly the same place and orientation throughout the entire test.

Recording the average usage over a 1 month period with battery saver, then a month without battery saver, may show different results than the ones you got. Or they may not.

Upvote 0
The boost version, which is the tested, has provided the same results on day two testing within 15 minutes. This was day 2 for power saver. Tomorrow will be a non power saver. This is also running my custom kernel which is a slight more optimized. Also, the boost mobile version has 3g and 4g. There is no 2g on it

Upvote 0
strange my battery will last a lot longer.

I run pandora or muve music for 8hrs straight at work without power saver on and still have 40% battery remaining.
you must have a lot of power hungry apps running.

try using task manager to stop them. for example often chrome browser is using up 180mb of ram on my phone.

as of right now my phone has been off the charger without power saver since 7:30 am. it's 6:23pm now and I still have 69% battery life.

Upvote 0
strange my battery will last a lot longer.

I run pandora or muve music for 8hrs straight at work without power saver on and still have 40% battery remaining.
you must have a lot of power hungry apps running.

try using task manager to stop them. for example often chrome browser is using up 180mb of ram on my phone.

as of right now my phone has been off the charger without power saver since 7:30 am. it's 6:23pm now and I still have 69% battery life.

Task management, programmatically, is worse for the phone battery. I'll tell you why, too

Basically Android has its own task manager built in. If it keeps a task alive, then it's important or very resource intensive to open. Or it has a listener of some kind. So, now on to the reason this is important. Android, ever since 4.0, is smart. It knows what should be open. Now in froyo closing was a good idea, but in ics+ you don't ever want to do that. It will actually be a slight battery degradation

Also do note my screen brightness is always turned to the minimum. That's personal preference

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones