• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Htc releasing firmware update for 30FPS cap... let's be more proactive!

This is not really the horizon, these are going to be its current competitors. The Incredible and N1 are already out, have similar internals yet the Evo is the poor performer. Go make your point about a WP7 phone or something that's coming out around Christmas or next year. Not about phones that area already out or coming out in the next month.
That's a bad way to look at it. There will always be something better out already or something better looking out in horizon... it's just the nature of the business.

Upvote 0
Sent mine

I recently purchased an HTC EVO 4G, and have been very pleased with the phone. I have been a long time consumer of HTC products, and knew that this was going to be a "no brainer" purchase. As I have been taking advantage of more of the features this phone offers, I noticed some dsplay issues. I went online and was dissapointed to find that it has its graphics capability capped at 30fps. I believe that the issues I am experiencing are related to this performance limitation. It seems that this is the only Android phone that you produce that has this limitation. I am hoping that this can be resolved in an update, but would appreciate a notifiaction of wether you plan on releasing a remedy or not. That will help me to decide wether I should keep my EVO 4G, or purchase something that better suits my needs.
Thank You
Andrew Horstman

Upvote 0
I rather have 60fps than have an HDMI out port. How many people are using the HTML out?

I agree. Sounds like a bad feature trade-off to me. A good question to ask would be if the HDMI port as something Sprint specifically asked for or a random piece of bling HTC decided to add to see if there was any market interest.

Reactions: tkrechel
Upvote 0
Emailed HTC at 4:14 pm EST regarding the HTC FPS cap of 30 FPS.
Received an email from HTC at 4:21 pm EST:
"Dear [TRIP],
Hello Juan, Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your request to remove the frames per second cap on the Sprint EVO 4G. The human eye can only process 29.97 frames per second, so HTC purposely capped the EVO 4Gs frames per second to 30. This has enabled the device to operate more effectively in other areas because of less processor usage in FPS."

First of all, not sure who Juan is. Not even my name. Looks like its a response email that is automatically generated by HTC. They must have forgot to remove "Juan" from the canned emial. *sigh*

Second of all, the human eye response is completely bogus. Ofcourse it can process an FPS num like 29.97, but does that mean technology should be capped as well? Love the HTC EVO, but we can clearly see the difference between lets say a 60FPS nexus one output than the 30 FPS that the EVO has.

Lastly, "more effectively in other areas" response is also bogus. What other areas? More processor devoted to the 4G antenna? Then why do you have a 1GHz processor in this device?

*Sigh* I love my Evo 4g. I haven't complained yet. But getting a canned response from HTC is disheartening to say the least. I doubt we are going to see an HTC patch fix anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Emailed HTC at 4:14 pm EST regarding the HTC FPS cap of 30 FPS.
Received an email from HTC at 4:21 pm EST:
"Dear [TRIP],
Hello Juan, Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your request to remove the frames per second cap on the Sprint EVO 4G. The human eye can only process 29.97 frames per second, so HTC purposely capped the EVO 4Gs frames per second to 30. This has enabled the device to operate more effectively in other areas because of less processor usage in FPS."

First of all, not sure who Juan is. Not even my name. Looks like its a response email that is automatically generated by HTC. They must have forgot to remove "Juan" from the canned emial. *sigh*

Second of all, the human eye response is completely bogus. Ofcourse it can process an FPS num like 29.97, but does that mean technology should be capped as well? Love the HTC EVO, but we can clearly see the difference between lets say a 60FPS nexus one output than the 30 FPS that the EVO has.

Lastly, "more effectively in other areas" response is also bogus. What other areas? More processor devoted to the 4G antenna? Then why do you have a 1GHz processor in this device?

*Sigh* I love my Evo 4g. I haven't complained yet. But getting a canned response from HTC is disheartening to say the least. I doubt we are going to see an HTC patch fix anytime soon.

Ha! I got the same

Dear Anthony,

Hello , Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your request to remove the frames per second cap on the Sprint EVO 4G. The human eye can only process 29.97 frames per second, so HTC purposely capped the EVO 4Gs frames per second to 30. This has enabled the device to operate more effectively in other areas because of less processor usage in FPS.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 10USCW26ENA000454.

Sincerely,

Jesse

HTC

Guys I guess we have to live with the cap or take back your phones. I think Ill live with it since anything is better then the POS Diamond I had. Just saying. But it is a bogus response. Cuz we can actualy see the difference in performance. OH WELL.

Upvote 0
I've now received two replies to my request for forwarding on my feature request. Both responses from HTC only explain the reason for the cap despite my requests to forward the cap removal onto whomever makes the decision:

Response #1: "Hello Wade, Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your request to remove the frames per second cap on the Sprint EVO 4G. The human eye can only process 29.97 frames per second, so HTC purposely capped the EVO 4Gs frames per second to 30. This has enabled the device to operate more effectively in other areas because of less processor usage in FPS."

Response #2: "Thank you for your response. Since the human eye can only process 29.97 frames per second, there is no need to remove this cap. It has nothing to do with the performance of your device, nor will it affect it."

GRRRRRRR.

Upvote 0
How do you know the DroidX is a better performer?

Assuming the DroidX won't be capped, it should be faster according to the specs.

I'm with everyone else when I say screw the HDMI capability and give me back 60fps. HTC must be smoking something to release a reply saying that the human eye cant tell the difference. I hate it when CSRs reply with lame excuses thinking that tech heads won't know what they're talking about.

Upvote 0
Response #1: "Hello Wade, Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your request to remove the frames per second cap on the Sprint EVO 4G. The human eye can only process 29.97 frames per second, so HTC purposely capped the EVO 4Gs frames per second to 30. This has enabled the device to operate more effectively in other areas because of less processor usage in FPS."
I got this reply also. Kinda lame.

Upvote 0
Better yet, why can the hero and Eris do it when their processors are much slower and could benefit from the extra processing power relieved by the capped fps, unlike the Evo which should have plenty of HP?

That was part of my response. The other is life doesn't move at 30fps. If we're watching something at 30fps our minds are filling in the blanks, like a faroujda processor scaling a 480p dvd to a 1080p display.
If the human eye can only register 29.97 frames per second, why did they put so much effort into making the droid incredible 60...?

Upvote 0
Someone needs to point HTC to proper information. 29.7 FpS only is valid when you factor in motion blur, which movie/tv does. Computers and thus android do NOT typically. (I've seen no evidence that android does natively in it's OS, but video players DO).

This site has a good explaination of what FPS really means: How many frames per second can the human eye see?

If we only watched movies on our phones, sure 30fps would be fine... want to play a game or move icons fast.. forget about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones