• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Rooting Problem:::SOLVED!!

I have an HTC Hero, and when I first got it, I downloaded and installed Beezy's "One Click Rooter" HeroRoot010. Followed his instructions and it worked just as described - no issues.

I started having problems with the phone recently that I was unable to correct on my own and after having done a factory reset which didn't solve the problem, I took the phone to the Sprint store as a last resort.

They decided that the phone needed to be setup with a new image. I left it with them for an hour and when I got the phone back it seemed fine. I re-loaded the apps that I had backed up and then decided to again use "One Click Rooter" solution again to re-root the phone.

I booted into Recovery and selected "flashzip from sdcard" and then "rootme".

It ran though several steps and gave me a message saying that it was complete.

However, when I re-booted the phone, I don't have superuser authority, the Superuser icon isn't listed among my apps, and I verified that I do not have root access.

So, from my perspective, I'm doing the exact thing I did the first time I rooted the phone, only now it doesn't work.

Not getting any responses on this, so I thought I'd provide an update in the hopes of maybe shaking something loose.

Update:
I've abandoned the "One Click Rooter" method and have been reading/researching everything I can find on getting this thing rooted. So far I've tried:

- SuperOneClick
- Androot
- FlashRec
- HeroRoot

None of them have worked. HeroRoot (file name is Hero010.apk if I remember correctly) looked like it executed from Recovery just fine with no errors, but I don't have root access or Superuser.

SOLUTION:

I worked in the software industry for 30 years and when something "worked before but doesn't work now", there is one question I always try to ask - "what changed from before". After beating my head against the wall on this for 2 days, I had a hunch. The difference was that I had installed Avast Antivirus, along with several other apps. Decided to do a factory reset, and try flashing Beezy's "One Click Root" again - bingo, root access!

So, if you tried more than one method of rooting your phone with no success - uninstall ALL antivirus software.

Thanks All!

RadioActive1

UPDATE: Lost root again yesterday. Had to do a factory reset AGAIN! I no longer suspect that Avast was the culprit, but that an OTA update caused me to lose root. Many other posts in this forum and xdadevelopers seems to confirm this.

Installed Voodoo Root Keeper to prevent the problem from happening again. Also flashed Cyanogenmod7.

Hopefully things will be more stable from now on.

RadioActive1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones