1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General HTC Sensation Dock Mode Replacement

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mbatson89, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mbatson89

mbatson89 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    UK
    Looking at getting a dock for the sensation so i can keep it charged up at work, but since Sense doesn't support horizontal orientation i'm looking for a good 'dock mode' type app that will allow my phone to show me when i've got enw emails, texts, updates etc. Anybody come across anything that's any good for this?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

the phone comes with an app called "dock mode", which supports landscape orientation

or you could get an alternative launcher (i like launcher pro) that supports landscape orientation in the home screen

3. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    "Dock Mode" runs in both landscape, and portrait modes. I created a shortcut to "Dock Mode" using the app Any Cut.

4. peterc10

peterc10 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    UK
    You don't need an app to create a short cut for Dock Mode. Just put it on one of your home screens like you would any other app. Long press on spare screen space > App > Dock Mode.

My problem is that Dock Mode good in principle but poor in its application. I can't find anyway of changing or adding to what is on the screen. So just a large weather app, the clock, only your next appointment (with time but no date!!), and links to the stock music player, photo gallery and calendar. No ability to get to phone, or show next few appointments or widgets or short cuts to apps.

So I would be interested in hearing of any alternatives available (without loosing Sense) that could do what Dock Mode should but doesn't.

5. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    That's not an option on the "US version" of the Sensation.

6. peterc10

None

Jan 10, 2010
    UK
    If you have the US Version, that is called the 4G, and you are posting in the wrong Forum - there is a separate forum for the 4G

Having said that AFAIK HTC Sense is the same on all Android HTC phones, including the 4G. I have never heard of an HTC Android phone running HTC Sense where you can't put a shortcut to an App on your homescreen in the way I have set out.

But even if it was the case you can install and app or widget by using the button to the right of the phone button at the bottom of the screen.

7. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Given the vast similarities between the phone, I think that its safe to say that helpful information could be shared between the forums..."that said", while adding a shortcut to a home screen via "Sense" is universal, having a 3rd party app (e.g. Any Cut, Launcher Pro, et al) "may" be necessary in order to create a shortcut to less visible apps, such as Dock Mode/Car Doc/etc. My point was that Dock Mode is not readily accessible, requiring an additional app.

If your carrier, or the unlocked version has Dock Mode icons already there, then so be it. I however doubt that using Sense to create the shortcut will work.

8. peterc10

None

Jan 10, 2010
    UK
    On my (non-US) Sensation Dock Mode (but not car mode) is visible in the list of Apps. And, I assure you I CAN add it to the homescreen using Sense and it DOES work when I do so. I believe that applies to all non-US Sensations. And hence my point about being in the wrong forum. The Sensation 4G is the US version.

But we shall wait to see if others can do so, or whether I have a truly unique Sensation.

9. mbatson89

mbatson89 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    UK
    I'm in a simialr position to peter really, i don't like the stock dock mode. I haven't had time to test it properly but a quick glance suggests it's not going to handle incoming alerts well, essentially i want a very simple view of whether i've got new emails, texts, calls, updates and a veiw of appointments would be good too.

To be honest, even a horizontal version of the Sense lockscreen that stays on whilst docked would do the job.

I can add dock mode very easily to my homescreen, just tried it now so not sure why that would be any different on the 4g?

10. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

like i mentioned before, getting an alternative launcher with landscape homescreen support (such as launcher pro) and dedicating one screen to house widgets and stuff you want in your "dock mode" is a pretty decent option

just set the screen never to time out (there's an option somewhere in the settings, plus you can probably find a widget that'll switch it on/off with 1 tap)

and if you want to keep using sense when not "docked", get a homeswitcher (some of them don't work for me, but [aa]HomeControl[/aa] does)

11. ChromeJob

ChromeJob Member
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    I kill software
    Raleigh, NC
    You can drag down the Notification Bar and launch recent apps there. I use Dialer One to replace the stock dialer, and it places a "click to launch" line below the "recent apps."

Despite HTC "hiding" Dock, I use Llama to create location-aware profile changes, and I can add a shortcut on the Home screen that launches a Llama action that puts my Amaze 4G into Dock mode.

As others have expressed, I too find the HTC Dock mode rather boring ... nice to just put the phone on a stand at work and let it charge, showing the time, weather, and pretty animated pic. Friend stream, meh. Photo frame, meh. ...