• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sensation VS Samsung Galaxy SII: ultimate face off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
to start lets look at the processors: (30 points)

HTC went with a Qualcomm MSM8260 Snapdragon chipset with a Dual-core 1.2 GHz Scorpion CPU and an adreo 220 GPU. the CPU is asynchronous meaning the second core is only used if its needed resulting in much higher battery life.

(16 points awarded for processing power)
(10 points awarded for effective power usage)

samsung went with a Exynos chipset with a duel core 1.2 GHz cortex A9 CPU and a Mali-400MP GPU.

(20 points awarded for processing power)
(0 points awarded for effective power usage)

customization: (7 points)

HTC: using the sense 3 ui, I'd say this one goes to htc hands down because it allows so many modifications. (7 points awarded)

Samsung wasn't very creative when it came to this one. (2 points awarded)

quality of basic pre-installed apps (3 points)

HTC: (3 points)

samsung: the messenger is terrible (2 points)

software (30 points)

HTC: android 2.3- htc sense 3: allows a large amount of additional features such as: Flip, clever ringing, htc skins, fastboot-sub 11 seconds.

(29 points awarded)

samsung: android 2.3-touchwiz 4: runs much smoother than sense and much lighter, eg needs less ram to function. it takes sub-26 seconds to boot.

(21 points awarded)

now we look at display: (10 points)

HTC: S-LCD with a 256 PPi (8 points awarded)

Samsung: super AMOLED with 217 PPi (7 points awarded)

Build quality: 10 points.

HTC: very strong device and high use of metals. (10 points awarded).

Samsung: that flimsy piece of plastic holding the battery is terrible but the phone will still survive a few bumps. (5 points awarded).
Total:

Sensation: 83 points.

SII: 57

the point of this thread is to share opinions and reviews. so give your ideas and reviews about the above mentioned devices.

still...its based on facts,well...except the last point. are you telling me that sense runs smoother than touchwiz ? besides this review was testing which phone suited me best...not necessarily you. I am fan boy of both samsung and htc...but it comes to the question of what suits me best. besides...the samsung had to win... samsung fans outnumber htc fans 200 to 1 (word wide) but never the less it was still based on facts...just that the point system went by my opinion of what matters to me most in a phone.

a review will always be biased...unless you hate both devices. eg if I had to judge between a bold and a torch.
..."Mate"...say...are you australian? :)

Upvote 0
Specifications are facts that's fine, but how you choose to rate or comment on them to down to you.

Example. :D

Best Screen

Galaxy S II - 75 points - SAMOLED Plus, OLED screen tech provides almost pefect viewing angles, almost infinite contrast and better colours
Sensation - 55 points - Standard S-LCD, points just for the resolution

Processor

Galaxy S II - 100 points - Cortex A9 is faster at the same clockspeed, also supports NEON
Sensation - 50 points - Dual Core Scorpion, same clockspeed but slower overall.

Battery Life

Galaxy S II - 60 points - Fair battery life, 1 - 2 days
Sensation - 40 points - Poor battery life as with most HTC phones

User Interface

Galaxy S II - 75 points - Hardware accelerated interface, very smooth.
Sensation - 25 points - New version of Sense is bloated which results in out of memory errors and it lags.

Multimedia

Galaxy S II - 100 points - Best stock video player of any device which supports many more media formats, fastest graphics processor in an Android phone so games fly.
Sensation - 50 points - Doesnt really excel at anything, average.

Form Factor

Galaxy S II - 100 points - Lighter and thinner
Sensation - 25 points - Weights more, thicker and its bigger!

Storage

Galaxy S II - 100 points - 16/32GB versions available plus microsd slot, 1GB of Memory
Sensation - 40 points - 1GB plus microsd slot, 768MB of Memory

Galaxy S II WINS!!

Upvote 0
ive owned a both of these and currently have the s2.....nice comparison but there is no comparison the s2 is more then a sensation could ever wish to be the thing feels like a brick and is slowwwwwww.....the s2 is by far the best phone ive owned hands down....i prefered my Dx to my sensation...plus all the fonts all really tiny on sensation i hated it and as stated above my GS2 battery life is much better than Sensation

Upvote 0
510 to 285...that's some score shocky. but conveniently forgot to mention the features, networking capabilities and graphic accelerators I see...wise.

...its nice to see someone else's point of view for a change. :)

but I had no idea that the cortex A9 processor was asynchronous.

Upvote 0
510 to 285...that's some score shocky. but conveniently forgot to mention the features, networking capabilities and graphic accelerators I see...wise.

...its nice to see someone else's point of view for a change. :)

but I had no idea that the cortex A9 processor was asynchronous.

Who cares if it's asynchronous or not, the battery life is still better on the Galaxy S II and it's still faster so it doesnt matter.

Features? what about the GPU's? Mali 400 MP is faster than Adreno 220. The network
capabilities are fairly even, Galaxy S II even comes out ahead there.

You need to expand a little because other than the screen resolution I have no idea what features your talking about.

in case your not familiar with them, here are the full specs for both phones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/new/compare.php3?idPhone1=3875&idPhone2=3621

Also look a the image quality from image captures and video tests they did.

Sensation images and video always look too warm,saturated and generally have unrealistic colours, sensation make the women look like she has sun burn, the videos are just at bad.

http://www.gsmarena.com/new/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=3621&idPhone2=3875&idPhone3=2683

Upvote 0
Also, as far as UI customization, that is irrelevant because any use could install ADW, LauncherPro or GoLauncher and have a much more enjoyable experience ;) And Android Widgets Pro or Plus or whatever is just as good as Sense widgets (save the clock....)

Lucky for us android users, we can just search the market for a great new widget (I installed Widgetsoid, allows me to make widgets! Great fun!).

Upvote 0
ok what about drop tests ?

This the sensation should easly have the prize.

Can samsungs stop bullets...no

can samsungs be driven over by 14 wheeler truks and still work...no, ok ya the htc had a completely falty screen but it could still work.

Can a samsung be thrown out a 4 story building and servive with just the screen slightly bent to the right....i think not.

This should push the conversation in a new direction. :)

Upvote 0
ok what about drop tests ?

I've dropped my Samsung a few times on heights of a meter or a bit less and its fine.

Can samsungs stop bullets...no
Can HTC? No. Unless, what bullets were they shooting? Airsoft?

can samsungs be driven over by 14 wheeler truks and still work...no, ok ya the htc had a completely falty screen but it could still work.
Why on earth would I leave my phone on the ground where it will be driven over by 14 wheeler trucks?

Can a samsung be thrown out a 4 story building and servive with just the screen slightly bent to the right....i think not.

Why would anyone throw a phone out a 4 story building?

Those things you mention doesn't even matter.

Upvote 0
I've dropped my Samsung a few times on heights of a meter or a bit less and its fine.

Can HTC? No. Unless, what bullets were they shooting? Airsoft?

Why on earth would I leave my phone on the ground where it will be driven over by 14 wheeler trucks?

Why would anyone throw a phone out a 4 story building?

Those things you mention doesn't even matter.

dont belive me ?

Just look at these links:

heres the bullet one

htcpedia.com/news/htc-droid-incredible-stops-bullet-saves-mans-life.html

bomer....just cant find the one with the truck.

Can your s2 stop bullets ? :D

Upvote 0
Not really .
If you want to evade bullets ,I would suggest Kevlar
If you want to throw something from a four storey building ,I would suggest paper balls
If you want to run something over a fourteen wheeler ,I wouldn't suggest anything except gravel which need to be ground for some reason best known to you .

I dont think any of the phone mentioned above was designed specifically for the purposes above .....

Reactions: BklynEnigma
Upvote 0
Not really .
If you want to evade bullets ,I would suggest Kevlar
If you want to throw something from a four storey building ,I would suggest paper balls
If you want to run something over a fourteen wheeler ,I wouldn't suggest anything except gravel which need to be ground for some reason best known to you .

I dont think any of the phone mentioned above was designed specifically for the purposes above .....

or you can just sugest the htc sensation :D

though the idea of kevlar is nice....where do i get some.....and without ripping it of the back of a motorola razor ?

Upvote 0
How about we compare my FABULOUS droid x2 to any of the top phones... I'd really like to get an idea how badly I messed up and should of bought a 4g phone... Or maybe the DX2 isn't really that bad after all...

the specs realy aint that bad....the processing power would be a little less than a sensation:

your motorola droid x2 from version: 5000 DIMPS
sensation: 5040 DIMPS

put it this way it is definatley better than the following: bb bold, bb tourch, iphone 4s, playbook. Note all is based on theory, i have never used your phone .

But you by no means mess up when you got this phone, though the razor would be a good choice too. How much did you pay for your device ?. With the price you can compare to what else you could have gotten. :)

Upvote 0
or you can just sugest the htc sensation :D

I've got some better advice for you - learn to quit while you're ahead. :mad:

To quote your own post from three hours ago in the HTC Sensation section:

check that thread again (sensation vs galaxy S2)

the opposition could not defend the s2 when i mentioned the build quality close to the end. Ha ha ha. :D

the s2 is a great device but not even the samsung fan boys could deny the sensation having a much better build quality....but yet they still tryed to defend the S2 :)

IOW you started this thread simply to argue the superiority of your own preferred handset. Why? Are you so insecure with your own decision that you need to validate it by putting down other members' choices? :thinking:

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones